CAPOEIRA STORE - www.capoeirastore.com

Account
People Groups Forums Events Videos Sounds Photos News Tags Search  

•  

AuthorMessage
Gith
Gith

06.14.2004 01:23   Quote
I've decided to buy a berimbau. Just seems like an all around good idea. Where would be the best place to purchase one, keeping in mind that I'm fairly short of cash most of the time? Also, what is a good length for the bow on a berimbau? I've seen anywhere from 3.5-5 feet.
haslo
haslo

06.14.2004 03:30   Quote
I bought mine from my Mestre, which is a good thing since like that, I also support him, and if I ever should have a problem or question I can go to him and ask. On the other hand, there are many online stores (can't recommend, never used them) which are cheaper, but sometimes the quality suffers... As for the length, I have a rather long one. The short ones are better suited for children, and if you have a long and heavy Berimbau and can play it, you'll be able to play a smaller one as well ... that was the primary reason for me getting a long one, but I also have found out that long Berimbaus tend to play a little louder :)
tolo
tolo

06.15.2004 14:41   Quote
On buying a berimbau and being strapped for cash... Theoretically, if you're realy hurting for money you could actualy try to make your own berimbau, there are a few tutorials on the web, and some info on various woods to substitute for birba. I think it's good to support your own school/mestre and buy from them, or even buy localy if possible. If that's not an option try: http://www.capoeiragear.com/ They have a decent berimbau, at a good price, and do a good job shipping quickly.
haslo
haslo

06.15.2004 17:46   Quote
I double that. Not that I'd know about their Berimbaus, but I ordered something there once and it came all the way to tiny switzerland in less than a week...
Gith
Gith

06.15.2004 22:44   Quote
Much thanks for the help. I figured it would be better to go with a larger berimbau (learning on harder things makes the rest easier, no?). I'll try capoeiragear.com, methinks.
000ZANCA
000ZANCA

06.16.2004 12:55   Quote
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX HTTP://ABADAPSICO.CJB.NET XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ABADA-CAPOEIRA - PORTO ALEGRE - RS - BRASIL PROFESSOR MONTANHA - GRADUADO PSICO
DaudiECinza
DaudiECinza

06.21.2004 17:24   Quote
where can I buy a good viola, violinha and berraboi online with a credit card?
tijoloaxe
tijoloaxe

06.24.2004 20:19   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "DaudiECinza": I have gotten berimbaus from www.capoeiramarket.com and have been extremely happy with the quality. checkn it out.
Toquinha
Toquinha

06.24.2004 21:06   Quote
I made the mistake of buying a Berimbau on eBay. The cabaca and caxixi arrived smashed, and even though I instructed the seller to ship it disassembled, he shipped it assembled, very haphazardly, I may add (he was a guy named Olimar...DO NOT BUY BERIMBAUS FROM HIM). Even though the order was "insured", he refused to send over any replacement parts unless I paid him more for shipping. Buy one from your mestre. That way you can at least hear it first and you know that it's not going to arrive in itty bitty pieces.
amaseca
amaseca

06.29.2004 14:08   Quote
Hi, I'm Ama-seca. If you want a good berimbau I suggest to visit www.rabodearraia.com.br Don't buy the berimbau complete but the single pieces to assemble. In this way you will pay less (about 10$). Another suggestion: don't order the cabaca already done because probably it will be broken. Buy the integer one and make the holes yourselves. Axe' Ama-seca
queixada4

07.03.2004 21:11   Quote
i whole heartedly agree with touquinha, P*L*E*A*S*E do not buy from that olimar ass hole. his berimbaus are shit and his service is even worse. i posted a horror story involving my purchase from him in gen. discussion. i'll bump it. best of luck!
Gith
Gith

07.05.2004 19:07   Quote
I'm having some confusion with the site. Looking under the berimbaus, I can't find the individual berimbau pieces nor the integer cabaca. Maybe I'm just too tired, but a bit of help finding these would be appreciated.
tolo
tolo

07.06.2004 10:09   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Gith": You could try to piece a berimbau together out of parts over the internet, but it's best to "marry" the gourd to the verga (finding the best matching gourd to go with the sound quality of the verga). "Gith", I'd again reccommend ordering a berimbau from: www.capoeiragear.com They're also located in the midwest, and shipping would likely be super-quick. I've ordered two from them at $34.00 and they look great and have well matched cabacas with good sound. ....minus the frustration factor of ordering from Brasil....
Gith
Gith

07.06.2004 18:38   Quote
Aye, I am planning on purchasing from capoeiragear.com. Everything arrived unbroken, etc?
tolo
tolo

07.07.2004 13:24   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Gith": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Aye, I am planning on purchasing from capoeiragear.com. Everything arrived unbroken, etc? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Two received perfectly intact berimbaus from CAPOERIAGEAR.COM! Let's face it, even if it came completely crushed to pieces, I'm sure they would replace it. Try that through a site in Brazil. ;) Get it and get playing.
Gith
Gith

07.07.2004 22:18   Quote
Ordered. 3 - 5 days from today. *Drools* can't wait. That wonderful sound has been haunting my mind... Now, how does one go about learning the berimbau?
Samurai
Samurai

07.15.2004 03:40   Quote
One finds a teacher. :) Maybe you can order one from Capoeiragear.com? LOL Just kidding. But getting someone proficient is very important for learning the berimbau. If you don't have an access to a teacher, I guess there are some tutorials around the net about it... You got your berimbau yet?
Gith
Gith

07.15.2004 12:18   Quote
Yeup. It actually arrived about 2 days after the order was confirmed. I'm extremely pleased with capoeiragear.com, so much thanks Tolo. Doing my best to teach myself some basics using the sheet music from the planet capoeira site. Main problem so far is getting a consistent sound when I touch the stone against the string and hit to get that nice buzz effect. Any advice would be much appreciated.
tolo
tolo

07.16.2004 14:59   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Gith": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Yeup. It actually arrived about 2 days after the order was confirmed. I'm extremely pleased with capoeiragear.com, so much thanks Tolo. Doing my best to teach myself some basics using the sheet music from the planet capoeira site. Main problem so far is getting a consistent sound when I touch the stone against the string and hit to get that nice buzz effect. Any advice would be much appreciated. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Glad CAPOEIRAGEAR worked out for you, they have been extremely reliable for me (STILL BUY YER BERIMBAUS FROM YER INSTRUCTORS IF YOU CAN!!!!). Now again, keep in mind that I go by the name "TOLO" here, and I don't know jack, but I may have a couple o' suggestions: - To go along with the sheet music notation, try downloading some audio sample toques for practice refference. - When making the "buzz" note, the gourd should be against yer stomach (don't try this until you have built up some skill just producing the basic toques). - Find a decent dobrao (sp?) (stone), one that is the right size and weight (either pick up rocks, or spend entirely too much time picking through the "polished river rocks" in the craft section of WALMART). I like a stone that has a flat edge to place against the arayme (sp?) wire. - When transtioning from the high note (rock hard against the wire), to an open note, don't take the stone off the wire too early. You should keep the stone against the wire right until you strike the wire again for the OPEN note. This will help to keep from having the wire make an additioanl unwanted sound. There's a guide on www.capoeira-shop.com that can be purchased on how to play the berimbau. It comes with a CD and a book. Unfortunately for me it's in Portugese, and I have enuff trouble with English. Good luck, it's not an easy thing to play. :) TOLO
Gith
Gith

07.16.2004 17:45   Quote
Much thanks for the advice... Holding the gourd against the stomach to produce the buzz sound helps a whole lot. Here is my main problem so far: I'm having some problems remembering notes...I took about a year of piano back when I was in 2nd grade, but can't remember anything. As I understand it, most of the notes are eighth or sixteenth notes. So I tried finding a decent metronome online to help with this, but I am unclear as to which ones are the eighth and sixteenth notes on the metronome. http://www.metronomeonline.com/ The music I am looking at is at http://www.planetcapoeira.com/columns/berimbaunote.htm Much thanks in advance.
aeonfox
aeonfox

08.02.2004 03:09   Quote
I wouldn't try and learn the berimbau by western nnotation method, especially as i dont know it very well. I practise it by singing the rythm with it.ie chi-chi-ching dow-dow, for benguela. for rythms I think this a lot better. Its how I learn rythms for my djembe from my drum tacher. anybody who is interested in a non-western notation, based on african traditional teacching can check out http://www.drums.org/djembefaq/v5d.htm . it shows a coupe of popualr different ways of ntoing rythms. I've applied to to capoeira music as well. The two most important important things in rythm are getting the same tempo as the other people in the group, and starting at the right point. singing the rythm as you practise helps you recognise what the other people in the gropup are doing, and lining up your own rythm . you can be doing up to three things at the same time, playing your own instrument, listening to the lead nerimabu to follow the rythm, and singing. cheers Craig
AlvaroAngola
AlvaroAngola

08.02.2004 21:17   Quote
Olá galera! Tudo bem com vocês? My name is Alvaro, my nickname is Chile. I'm member of the Centro Esportivo de Capoeira Angola de Mestre João Pequeno de Pastinha, here in Salvador de Bahia. I know some friends who sells capoeira products by the internet. With a great customer services... and really low prices... look: Capoeira pants: US$ 15,00 T-shirts: since US$ 7,00 Berimbaus: US$ 15,00 The only problem is my friends work with the service of Western Union. You have to send the money and then they send you the products. But you can trust... well... I do They send you gifts to help you to pay the tax of the service of Western Union (depends of the amount you buy) Well... that's it.. Sorry about my english... A gente se ve por aqui... lembranças desde a Bahia Um abraço galera Chile
© 2014 RioActive, LLC