CAPOEIRA STORE - www.capoeirastore.com

Account
People Groups Forums Events Videos Sounds Photos News Tags Search  

•  

AuthorMessage
cmessler
cmessler

03.29.2011 01:30   Quote

What is a better workout overall and will help me increase my strength, flexibility, and give me a better body? Jiu Jitsu or Capoeira?

I don't want to know which one is a better fighting technique, I would rather just know which is more of an effective workout and get me back into shape. I quit college swimming about 4 months ago and miss working out and exercise, but I would like to try something new and different that what I have been doing my whole life, swimming. I have always wanted to do one of the two - BJJ or Capoeira, but I want a better and tougher workout. Which one should I do?

grande
grande

03.29.2011 04:37   Quote

OK, so I did capoeira for 7 or 8 years pretty consistently, and have been doing BJJ for 5. Honestly the answer is that it doesn't matter so much which activity you choose, its more about your personal work ethic. In either one you'll have plenty of opportunity to push yourself, but also plenty of opportunity to have a bit of a bludge. Being a former competitive swimmer, I'd assume your drive is pretty strong, so if I were you I'd try each for a few sessions and see which one appeals to you the most.

I know that doesn't give you an actual answer, but I've seen people bludge it AND work insanely hard at both.

corvoLK
corvoLK

03.31.2011 13:34   Quote

I prefer Capoeira, It's more interesting, and there are alot more women doing it.  I do both as well, but Capoeira has a broader range of activities.

grande
grande

04.01.2011 06:16   Quote

I prefer Capoeira, It's more interesting, and there are alot more women doing it.  I do both as well, but Capoeira has a broader range of activities.

Thats fairly subjective........ I actually find BJJ more interesting atm.

As for the more women doing it, I dont reckon thats always a good thing. Besides the obvious reasons why it IS, when I used to play consistently our core group of players were guys, in the 21-26 sort of age range. We played assertively, quite physical in fact, but not in a 'fight' sense. The few girls who trained with us played the same - there was never any sense of having to hold back whatsoever. I went back to play a couple of months ago and the whole vibe of the group is different. More than half the students were girls, and while thats great to see, the tone to the games was much more passive - not enough martia land far too much art. I don't mean heaps of floreios, I mean soft, slow kicks, weird movements, and a lack of any real intent. Even from most of the guys. Even though I was the most experienced student there, I didn't feel especially comfortable in my home roda!

Depends on what you are looking for, I suppose.

lennon
lennon

04.01.2011 13:19   Quote

I went back to play a couple of months ago and the whole vibe of the group is different. More than half the students were girls, and while thats great to see, the tone to the games was much more passive - not enough martia land far too much art. I don't mean heaps of floreios, I mean soft, slow kicks, weird movements, and a lack of any real intent. Even from most of the guys. Even though I was the most experienced student there, I didn't feel especially comfortable in my home roda!

Depends on what you are looking for, I suppose.

Come to England and play with me Grande.... no-one boy or girl will play a proper hard game with me either in my group..it pisses me off.  The instructor tells the girls to play hard with the boys but the boys to hold back with the girls. End result =rubbish games as none of the girls will up the game against an opponent who can't fight back.. even if they wanted to play harder.

corvoLK
corvoLK

04.02.2011 13:32   Quote

I prefer Capoeira, It's more interesting. every thing can be seen as subjective.  But I believe we are talking about choices.

Some women can weaken a group, some women can make a group stronger, just like men can.

M3inline6
M3inline6

04.14.2011 21:27   Quote

I have been doing Capoeira since 2002-ish, and while I've dabbled in grappling over the past few years, I didn't really get into it until last year after beginning a Capoeira program at a Gracie Barra gym.  From a pure workout (cardio) perspective, Capoeira will offer more than BJJ, but that's not to take away the endurance and cardio necessary to roll for any respectable amount of time.  BJJ is just a very different type of animal!  I've learned quite a bit, and it can be very technical, which I really enjoy.

Espantalho1
Espantalho1

04.15.2011 15:21   Quote

I cross trained in BJJ once a week for 2 years.  I also took the beginning boxing class at community college a couple of times.  Capoeira, Boxing, and Jiu Jitsu are all good workouts and they all work your body differently.  I recommend that you try capoeira and jiu jitsu and go with what you like the best.  If you enjoy it, you are more likely to stick with it and do it more often, making you get in better shape.

CapoeiraStar
CapoeiraStar

07.19.2012 19:59   Quote

Do you think combining capoeira and jiu jitsu works well?  They are both brazilian fighting forms.

laite
laite

07.19.2012 20:55   Quote

Do you think combining capoeira and jiu jitsu works well?  They are both brazilian fighting forms.

Espantalho1
Espantalho1

07.20.2012 12:15   Quote

Some people do.  It's not really my cup of tea.

CapoeiraStar
CapoeiraStar

07.22.2012 03:59   Quote

So I take it that you think that it's a bad combination?

CapoeiraStar
CapoeiraStar

07.22.2012 03:59   Quote

lennon
lennon

07.22.2012 15:30   Quote

Brilliant pic laite :0D My take is why screw up two perfectly good arts by making a hybrid. If it was a good idea the brazilians would have done it already as they are their arts.

Espantalho1
Espantalho1

07.28.2012 13:29   Quote

Now now Laite, be nice to the new guy...lol.

© 2014 RioActive, LLC