CAPOEIRA STORE - www.capoeirastore.com

Account
People Groups Forums Events Videos Sounds Photos News Tags Search  

•  

AuthorMessage
rosagirl
rosagirl

01.24.2003 12:23   Quote
My mestre will start requiring the official school uniform to be worn in every class starting this spring. As far as I can tell that doesn't include a shirt, so we can still wear whatever tops we want. I think it isn't a bad idea.. after all, I can't think of another art form that doesn't require some type of uniform in class. What do you think? What do you wear to class? Are you required to wear a uniform? Is there a shirt that is considered part of your uniform? Do you only wear capoeira-related shirts to class? Especially for the ladies: What types of tops do you wear to class? I hate wearing regular t-shirts..even the smalls are too baggy and either I tuck them in and get this big shirt roll around my stomach or I leave them out and they fly up with my every au....
ShadowCat17
ShadowCat17

01.24.2003 13:14   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "rosagirl": We pretty much wear whatever we want to class as long as it's pants and not shorts; the pants should be something loose or stretchy that you can move in. I wear various pairs of capoeira pants or workout pants, some of the guys wear loose khakis or jeans. Shirts are whatever; most of us don't have a lot of capoeira-related shirts. When we're performing, we wear all white shirts and pants, and cordaos if we have them. The main problem for us with an official uniform would be the fact that we have class 4 days a week, so to have to wash them every time would be ridiculous. For me small, non-baggy t-shirts work ok, I don't have too much of a problem with them flying up. I prefer something clingy like an athletic tank top though. Just curious - what will your mestre do about visitors to the class and beginners? Like say someone wants to participate in a few weeks of class to give it a try, but they're not sure yet if they want to stick with it. Will they be required to buy the uniform and wear it? ~ SC17
onechop
onechop

01.24.2003 13:37   Quote
We're a bit more rigid on that score. A school shirt sould be worn for every class and some sort of capoeira trousers. I once turned up in jeams because I'd forgotten my trousers and he told me the next time I wouldn't be allowed to train. For presentations, batazados, exams and other formal stuff the school shirt and the white trousers are supposed to worn. If someone comes in to try capoeira out then they try for about a month and then are asked to buy the uniform.
Mae
Mae

01.24.2003 14:19   Quote
We have to wear our official uniform to every class, which is the abadas and t-shirts or tanks for guys and t-shirts or sports bras for women. He will let us wear any other white capoeira shirt for rodas only. And when we have street rodas in the summer he likes us to wear our coloured capoeira pants. New students have to wear white until they buy the uniform.
BobCapoeira
BobCapoeira

01.24.2003 15:47   Quote
Depends on the group. In mine, new students wear whatever until they register/buy the uniform. The uniform consists of a tee shirt with my group's logo and a pair of abadas. As you are a girl, Rosa, I suggets wearing a sports bra under your shirt, and tuck the shirt in.
BobCapoeira
BobCapoeira

01.24.2003 15:49   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "ShadowCat17": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The main problem for us with an official uniform would be the fact that we have class 4 days a week, so to have to wash them every time would be ridiculous. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - I usually wash mine at the end of the training week... Usually it doesn't smell like rotting beef carcass. the again, I train 3 times a week at most.
Davi
Davi

01.24.2003 16:34   Quote
Same here, Mae. When I went to st. croix, our luggage was held up in puerto rico. Fortunately the pants I was wearing were street abada, being it was the first night i really wanted to train, I was allowed to but I couldn't play in the roda my pants were those "brazillian flag" style abada you can find at www.thecapoeirastore.com. fortunately our luggage arrived the next day....bencao meu deus.......
rosagirl
rosagirl

01.24.2003 16:47   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "BobCapoeira": Thanks for the tip about the sports bra, Bob. I never thought of it... ;) I was just checking how many women wear only sportsbra and whether batizado shirts get made in women's sizes in anyone else's school or if you just let the guy's stuff flop around on you. Are guys allowed to train shirtless in your group?
Mae
Mae

01.24.2003 17:47   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "rosagirl": I usually only wear the sports bra top to train in. For batizados when we have to wear the oficial batizado t-shirt, luckily our group has lots of kids and I always get a large kids size for myself, as do most of the women. And some of the guys in our group train with no shirt (not so much in the winter), Mestre only lets them if they have something to show, he won't let them if they are not toned. Luckily most of the guys in our group are :)
investir
investir

01.24.2003 20:05   Quote
I mi under roos, they have a star, a moon a circle on them.
Ofer
Ofer

01.26.2003 06:27   Quote
in my gruop our teacher never tells us what to wear. i come to class with every thing that is comfortable. I have one white abada and one street abada that i usually wear to class but somtimes i come with other pants that are comfortable for training. with shirts, i wear capoeira shirts or regular t-shirts. in the summer when its hot, we somtimes train without our shirts, our teacher dont mind it.
loafer
loafer

01.26.2003 12:26   Quote
In our group the instructor requires us to wear uniform (white abadas club T-shirt) on week night training sessions, wekends we can where whatever we like. New members are given a grace period to see if capoeira is for them, and then they are asked to buy uniform, as we are a university club witha lot of student members (who are skint all the time) Andre will often let them have uniform and let them pay later (what a guy!!). but if you forget your uniform or it's to disgusting to train in, he will make a comment but will still let you train. Just my tupenny bit. Soldado. Axe pra tua vida!
morango
morango

01.26.2003 12:51   Quote
We wear tight speedo shorts, with a couple of championship belts across our chests. And nothing else, unless you count the oil. Those of you who train in Miami might know what I'm talking about :)
Davi
Davi

01.26.2003 12:59   Quote
Maybe I was allowed to practice that first night in St. Croix because it was not a "official" class..........
Davi
Davi

01.26.2003 13:07   Quote
And on the t-shirt, tip, yeah we lose the t shirt in the summer, winter is colder, about 49 degrees F, but once we warm up I wanna tell the t-shirt goodbye. I like "natural" better, anyway, I really don't like to play capoeira with tshirts on- either A-shirts or shirtless is how I like it.Maybe when I go to Canada the t-shirt will be more appropriate (aiyyo, I'm and BdaIslandboy, i'm not cut out for all that cold weather...)
Mae
Mae

01.26.2003 17:41   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Davi": Are you coming to Victoria next month? (And don't worry, it's not that cold here, today was sunny and about 16C, which is about 65 degrees F)
peduro
peduro

01.27.2003 00:33   Quote
In Sydney I trained shirtless unless we were doing and excerise that involved me stretching over someone elses back. If that person was also shirtless one of us would put on a shirt. Too much sweat otherwise. During class we wear either white abadas or steet abadas, but at babtizado's we where the new babtizado tshirt and our white abadas. At the end of everymonth, all the classes come together to train and have a large Roda, we have to wear our white abadas to this, but can still wear no shirt. Even at public rodas we can generally go shirtless... I guess it mght encourage more people to join?
inforcada
inforcada

01.27.2003 05:03   Quote
our group in israel (bantus) makes great tank tops for girls, they really fit good and they make it from a special fabric wich is tight so you dont need to wear a bra at all, it's really nice and quite pretty too... about the shirtless thing, here in new-zealand the boys arent alowed to take their shirts off, i dont understand why, it's weird!! i'm used to see our brasileiros teachers take their shirts off from the second the roda gets good. i'd like to know what's the reason for not taking your shirt off... anyone? ...anyway rosa you should try finding those tank tops i'm talking about on the net if your intrested, i've seen them in some website store, i dont remember which one thou.. axé! forcadera.
Daystar
Daystar

01.27.2003 12:29   Quote
At my school we can't go shirtless for the moment, because it's just to cold, but otherwise us guys can choose wether we keer op our shirts or not. At our batizado we had to wear our official abada's and group T-shirts, but in other occasions we can choose wether we wear the group uniform or not.
Formiga77
Formiga77

01.27.2003 13:28   Quote
During practice we're required to wear the club white pants and any capoeira t-shirt. In the summer we can go topless, but it's too freakin' cold right now. For demonstrations we have to wear the club t-shirt and pants. We are even having club fleeces and long sleeves made (very useful in Buffalo in the winter).
Davi
Davi

01.28.2003 11:17   Quote
No, I wish I was. I'm planning to go to Toronto in March (to train) and in June (hopefully -batizado).
SantoGuerreira
SantoGuerreira

01.28.2003 12:17   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "inforcada": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - our group in israel (bantus) makes great tank tops for girls, they really fit good and they make try finding those tank tops i'm talking about on the net if your intrested, i've seen them in some website store, i dont remember which one thou.. axé! forcadera. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tops are a definite challenge for us females. I could never just wear a T shirt as I sweat alot and the shirt would soon become transparent. Certain sports bras have let me down(literally) in the roda as I like an active game. I just got a new one online from San Diego, muito caro. It's got these little pads to anchor it down. I feel like Dolly Parton the first few minutes after I put it on. Any other females know a good sport top?
dread
dread

01.29.2003 05:01   Quote
We can wear what we like to class.I like to put on baggy hemp bants and a t shirt, it depends what mood im in but usually something like that.But stretch pants no way...
LittleFlower
LittleFlower

01.29.2003 12:58   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "rosagirl": In our group we have tight tops for girls, but we can also wear the t-shirts. The guys usually wear a t-shirt, but when we have shows, they are sometimes asked to take them of, and go shirtless. Sometimes they do when we train too, but no one minds, 'cause we know that the shirt can get sweaty after a while! I wear i small white top under my shirt.
LittleFlower
LittleFlower

01.29.2003 13:00   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "dread": escuze moi! abada'en er stretchy! visste du ikke det? og sånn i tilfelle du ikke vet hva en abada er, det er capoeira-buksen!
dread
dread

01.29.2003 13:22   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "LittleFlower": Ja men dom är inte superstretchiga plus att jag har inte så tjocka ben så det blir inte så stretchigt för mig men jag vet inte hur mycket du väger och sånt.Men det är klart som fan att jag visste att det var det.. Translation: They arent superstretchy plus i dont have so thick legs så they dont get stretchy on me..
asabranca
asabranca

01.29.2003 13:58   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "SantoGuerreira": I hate finding a sports bra that "works" but I found the best one ever. It's by New Balance (like the shoes) and I got it for $24 at Sports Authority a year ago. I wear it constantly and it has retained it's elasticity and tightness. You don't need to wear anything else since it covers what needs to be covered. Good luck in finding it, I haven't been able to since!
Formiga77
Formiga77

01.29.2003 14:01   Quote
There are a couple women in my class who wear the tight stretchy tops and, seeing them (literally- they start to sweat and we all see much more of them than we want to) makes me think now nice it is to wear a t-shirt. I have yet to find a stretchy top that doesn't: 1. show through when you sweat 2. Ride up 3. give enough support when I'm upside down.
SantoGuerreira
SantoGuerreira

01.29.2003 20:28   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Formiga77": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - wear a t-shirt. I have yet to find a stretchy top that doesn't: 1. show through when you sweat 2. Ride up 3. give enough support when I'm upside down. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Exactly! What other sport do you spend so much time upside down? Design a bra for THAT, bucko. That's why I get the bras with the tiny little pads-they anchor and they also keep your upper body from looking like anatomy class after you work up a sweat. My last one is made by a company called "One Step Ahead" out of San Francisco. My other two are relics from the First World War.
© 2014 RioActive, LLC