CAPOEIRA STORE - www.capoeirastore.com

Account
People Groups Forums Events Videos Sounds Photos News Tags Search  

•  

AuthorMessage
Coice
Coice

03.12.2002 21:46   Quote
I am Coice en Viento. It means a kick in the wind. It was given to me because the wind itself cannot catch me when I play. *Smile of Pride*
BobRezende
BobRezende

03.13.2002 07:18   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Coice": "Coice no vento" not "Coice en viento" this is some sort of spanish
Coice
Coice

03.13.2002 12:32   Quote
So I can't spell in portugese and occasionally get coonfused. This is what high-school spanish did to me. lOL
BobRezende
BobRezende

03.13.2002 14:52   Quote
I can understand you, but be careful 'cause if you came here in Brazil, the people, in general will try to help and understand you. But don't use spanish here, if you're americam speak english, or ask if the people you're talking to can understand spanish. This is because almost the whole world when talk about Brazil seems to think that our lenguage is spanish not portuguese and this upset us a lot. If you can show that you know we speak portuguese and you don't but you speak spanish then you would be treated well. Axe
BobCapoeira
BobCapoeira

03.13.2002 17:17   Quote
My nome de guerra refers to my appearence. I have bright green hair so my nick name is Papagaio, or Parrot.
eng479
eng479

04.01.2002 01:22   Quote
My name's "bolboletta". I went to a workshop in Tuscon and bought this butterfly knife at a local store and was playing around with it,and the guys started calling me bolboletta and said it fit because when i play,I spend alot of time in the air doing acrobatics.
sapo
sapo

04.01.2002 07:36   Quote
my nickname is "ra" (yup, i know what my user name sez), which means "frog". i got it 'cos i got mad ups, hahaha! no really, it's because no matter what move i did when i first started, i put this little hop in it. my mestre told me to stop hopping around like a little frog, but i couldn't. so at my batizado he convinced me to...the hard way...the very hard way :P
Bolaoito
Bolaoito

04.01.2002 08:52   Quote
My nickname means Eight ball. I got this name for two reasons: One cause I was always complaining that he was making me do it cause I was African American (He's African-Brazilian) =P And the other reason is it was his old name and he says I remind him of himself.
Tabaki
Tabaki

04.01.2002 09:55   Quote
my nick name is gonna make u lath, but just know that i love it very much! my nick name is "pingween" ca im puing my hands foot(i dont know what the name of this) outside in the au hand stand and all kind of stuf, so my teacher called me pingween.
VentoLevou
VentoLevou

04.02.2002 11:27   Quote
My name, Vento Levou, litterally means Wind Took so translated into more appealing English, it means gone with the wind The reason I'm called Vento Levou, is because when I do my movements, it looks like I'm carried by the wind (when my mestre explained it to me, I thought he ment that when doing my movements I break wind/fart, luckily I don't) It doesn't mean I can fly though, if you expect that; I'm not able to do mortals or backflips and my parafuso isn't to impressive either, but apparantly I play lightfooted. I'm proud of the name and love it very much, ciao Vento Levou
Coice
Coice

04.02.2002 12:25   Quote
Here's to the wind swept brother! Axe Camara, Coice no Vento
slumber
slumber

04.03.2002 16:39   Quote
holla! today i got my nickname in capoeira...after about 2 months of practise. well, i need some help. My nick's pronounciation is "gaviOn". Well, that's it. Gavion. But does anyone know what in means in Brazilian?? My professor said it's a bird. But which one?? My professor is Brazilian, and we can't communicate well because i don't know portuguesse, he doesn't know english, and we are in Greece :) please help, and correct me if my spelling was incorrect. message me or post a reply. remember...it's supposed to be some kind of a bird :) thanx enjoy capoeira
kungfudude
kungfudude

04.03.2002 16:44   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "slumber": Sorry, I don't know what it means or anything, but just one thing. The Brazilians speak a variety of Portuguese, not a unique language known as "Brazilian." Just though I'd say that.
Cantor
Cantor

04.03.2002 17:00   Quote
I believe that your name's probably spelled Gaviao with the little thing on top of the a. It means Hawk. As another point, I heard that it was Mestre Joao Grande's nickname given to him by Mestre Pastinha. Ache camara Cantor
slumber
slumber

04.03.2002 17:55   Quote
well, thanx :) but no mater how it's spelled, i still don't know the meaning of it :) please reply.... however i will try to learn 2morrow at my school..... and tell you the meaning (if i find out what it means :) enjoy capoeira :)))))
Cantor
Cantor

04.04.2002 12:16   Quote
Oi slumber, I think you didn't read the whole message? ; ) Gaviao means Hawk, like the bird. Kinda like a Falcon? muito ache C
slumber
slumber

04.04.2002 15:03   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Cantor": sorry man :) i was a little bit careless if it means hawk it's cool!!! thanx man :) enjoy capoeira!!!
Cantor
Cantor

04.04.2002 15:13   Quote
No problem. Glad I could help. ache C
OSSO
OSSO

04.05.2002 14:27   Quote
Hello all, How often are baptismals done? Is it once a year?
Zoo
Zoo

04.05.2002 15:31   Quote
Some schools have it twice a year, mine in particular is Once a year, and we have Batizados.
OSSO
OSSO

04.05.2002 19:10   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Zoo": Thank you. I meant batizados. I am still new to the capoeira world. Hopefully with help from everyone, I will continue to grow.
maniluwhua
maniluwhua

04.06.2002 07:36   Quote
Greetings All This is Tracey Maniluwhua writing at this moment. My nickname is Kitaah Vihanexai-it means "Little Brave One". It was given to me by my Father.
nono
nono

04.08.2002 09:52   Quote
hey my name is oo and mening is lloron
Zoo
Zoo

04.08.2002 20:56   Quote
Lloron = crybaby; for those who don't speak spanish.
enigma
enigma

04.08.2002 21:07   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Zoo": i didn't know nicknames were given in other languages...that's kind of cool... btw, lloron=chorao in Portuguese
enigma
enigma

04.08.2002 21:09   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "enigma": oh and I don't have a nickname yet..I've only been doing this for a month...I think I'm just known as the "Portuguese girl in the class" xau
gambi
gambi

04.09.2002 01:18   Quote
hey , my name is gambi. it actually means GUMBY as in the stop motion plasticene character that had his own TV show.I have never seen this show so was very puzzled when my group consulted with the mestre (marcelo caveirinha) and called me this.In fact i hated the name coz eveyone was laughing and i didnt get the joke. apparently gumby is very flexible and a little grumpy so i guess thats me! bencao!!! GAMBI
HumanWrecK
HumanWrecK

04.09.2002 03:23   Quote
Hehe , My nickname is "Prea", or something like that. I think it translates to Guinea Pig.
TAMANDUA
TAMANDUA

04.09.2002 05:25   Quote
Hello my name is Tamandua.View what i'm look liked in my webpage, there is a picture of me. what do you thing about me..????
Bigorna
Bigorna

04.09.2002 12:37   Quote
My nickname is what you see, "Bigorna." It means "anvil." I got this nickname from instructor because when I first started, I stood still in my ginga and didn't move around the roda, I stayed in one place and was planted like an anvil on the ground. Now that I move around more freely, I'm starting to wonder if my nome de guerra will be changed. I was out of class for about a month due to injury, and my instructor called me some Portuguese name for "missing", which I assume was "faltante." Now I refer to myself as the "Aluno Faltante," or the "missing student." Of course, I could go with "Bigorna Faltante," or "missing anvil..." LOL
Coice
Coice

04.09.2002 12:45   Quote
Missing anvil has a lot of panache! Keep that one. LOL
lefy
lefy

04.12.2002 13:08   Quote
...ok im sorry, dont want to be annoying but i must know... what the hell "LOL" stands for!? thanks inadvance @:)(:@ axe...
teimosia
teimosia

04.12.2002 13:45   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "lefy": "what the hell "LOL" stands for!? " Guess LOL means "lots of laughs" Axe` Teimosia
Melise
Melise

04.12.2002 13:47   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": Hi There LOL means Laughing Out Loud
teimosia
teimosia

04.12.2002 14:53   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Melise": "LOL means Laughing Out Loud" But I had a nice try, eh ? Axe` Teimosia
Saosusa
Saosusa

04.12.2002 21:17   Quote
My name is Saosusa, and it means Shaggy as in the character from Scooby doo. Esquilu, Mestre Efraine, Mestre Deputado, and Mestre Canguru agreed on this name for me, they said I look like him because im tall and have brown hair. I dont think so, and I dont particularly like the name, but I respect it, and am honored to have recieved it by such great Caporistas.
teimosia
teimosia

04.15.2002 09:08   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Saosusa": "My name is Saosusa, and it means Shaggy as in the character from Scooby doo." The right spelling is "Salsicha". It means "sausage"... Brazilian cartoon/movie translators are quite weird: The movie "Only the strong" was called "Esporte Sangrento" (Bloodsport) in Brazil, while the movie "Bloodsport" was called "O Grande Drago Branco" (The Great White Dragon)... There are uncountable examples of this weirdness... Axe` Teimosia
BlakAfrika
BlakAfrika

04.15.2002 09:41   Quote
Well my nickname is "Carvao" which basically means carbon or black. I am a dark skinned black male, so I believe the name fits. As one of the two black males who consistently attends my class, I enjoy the name. It is a strong and simple name, and I am pleased with it.
LambeLambe
LambeLambe

04.15.2002 10:04   Quote
Hallo evey capoerista. My nickname was given to me by Prof. Sabia who is the worldchampion at the moment. He gave me the name Lambe Lambe...and explained that it means some kind of photografer in Bahia... I still am not sure what it means so if anyone could please help me. Ginga ginga
teimosia
teimosia

04.15.2002 10:41   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "LambeLambe": "Hallo evey capoerista. My nickname was given to me by Prof. Sabia who is the worldchampion at the moment. He gave me the name Lambe Lambe...and explained that it means some kind of photografer in Bahia... I still am not sure what it means so if anyone could please help me." The "lambe-lambe" (literally, "lick-lick") is a street photographer. They usually use old-fashioned equipment to take cheap 3x4cm pics, and use to lick the photos to accelerate the development process (I don`t know if there is a logical explanation to this, but it`s how they do). Axe` Teimosia
Giraffa
Giraffa

04.15.2002 10:56   Quote
hey my name is Girafa(sp)not giving to me by a mestre walked into class and the senior students gave it to me thanks alot iggy marcelo and beto!! and at my first batizado mestre urubu and barrao didnt see a reason to change it. anyway went ot mestre suassuna workshop in brazil in 2001 and picked up the name pateta(sp) which is Goofy from disney cartoons(thx mestre tarzan and fabiola). anyway the names fit me in the long run i guess they can read you well or you grow to fit the name i dont know . axe axe the mad giraffe
Nkenga
Nkenga

04.15.2002 14:58   Quote
My Capoiera nickname is "Sorrisa". (I'm not sure of the spelling, which is why I didn't use it for my screenname here.) It means loosely "big smile" because I have a big smile, and I'm usually smilling, even in the middle of playing! If anyone knows the real spelling for it, let me know!
teimosia
teimosia

04.15.2002 15:26   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Nkenga": "If anyone knows the real spelling for it, let me know!" "Big smile" translates to "Sorrisatilde;o" Axe` Teimosia
teimosia
teimosia

04.15.2002 15:27   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": Sorry for my last message. The spelling is "Sorrisao", with a tilde on the "a". Axe` Teimosia
LambeLambe
LambeLambe

04.25.2002 05:28   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "LambeLambe": "Hallo evey capoerista. My nickname was given to me by Prof. Sabia who is the worldchampion at the moment. He gave me the name Lambe Lambe...and explained that it means some kind of photografer in Bahia... I still am not sure what it means so if anyone could please help me." The "lambe-lambe" (literally, "lick-lick") is a street photographer. They usually use old-fashioned equipment to take cheap 3x4cm pics, and use to lick the photos to accelerate the development process (I don`t know if there is a logical explanation to this, but it`s how they do). Axe` Teimosia Thank u..that is kind of an explanation a got..but now it makes more sence to me what it really means. Well I dont run around lick things but I am the photografer around here...almost every time I come to class people ask me if I have any new photos from any of our rhodas, classes or shows... So thank u again Axe Teimosia.. Lambe Lambe
LambeLambe
LambeLambe

04.25.2002 05:32   Quote
I might sound stupid but I will never know if I dont ask. what does tha "AXE" mean that everyone is writing at the end...? From one who really wants to learn everything.. Lambe Lambe
maga
maga

04.25.2002 07:21   Quote
Hey! My nickname is Maga Patalogica which means Daisy Duck (the Disney Character). I got given this nickname by Mestre Burgues and i've never been sure why, but some say it is because i have a slight lisp when i talk (sort of sound like a duck, you could say). Sort of embarrasing, but kinda cool i guess.
teimosia
teimosia

04.25.2002 07:32   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "LambeLambe": "what does tha "AXE" mean that everyone is writing at the end...?" There is a whole thread discussing it... "Axe`" is a yoruba word that may mean "the positive energy that is in everything". Capoeiristas use it as a salutation, to wish the best. Axe` Teimosia
teimosia
teimosia

04.25.2002 07:38   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "maga": "Hey! My nickname is Maga Patalogica which means Daisy Duck (the Disney Character)." Maga Patalogica is not Daisy Duck. She is Magica De Spell. Check at http://stp.ling.uu.se/cgi-bin/starback/dcml/names?Magica+De+Spell Axe` Teimosia
maga
maga

04.25.2002 08:10   Quote
heh wow i had no idea! thanks for telling me though... i was told my nickname was Daisy Duck and they said this was Maga Patalogica in portuguese. Perhaps they got mixed up?!? i'll have to ask!
teimosia
teimosia

04.25.2002 11:16   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "maga": "heh wow i had no idea! thanks for telling me though... i was told my nickname was Daisy Duck and they said this was Maga Patalogica in portuguese. Perhaps they got mixed up?!? i'll have to ask!" Daisy Duck is known as "Margarida" in Brazil... Check at http://stp.ling.uu.se/cgi-bin/starback/dcml/names?Daisy+Duck Axe` Teimosia
Carpete
Carpete

04.25.2002 12:21   Quote
A funny story about my apelido- The day we were given nicknames, my Professor (Bom Jesus) had all of us initiantes stand in the middle of the roda, and all of the Brazilians and students who could speak Portuguese would yell out names until one stuck. Now, I am a very hairy man, and I also sweat a lot (I know, great combo, huh?) I knew that my nickname would either have something to do with sweat or hair, so I made a quick decision, and took off my dripping wet T-Shirt, cause I didn't want to be called "Suado" (sweaty). And of course, as I predicted, I became Carpete (carpet). This nickname has actually been with me a long time- when I was a child some of my friends used to call me Carpetfresh because of my thick, curly Jew-fro. Axe Camaras! Carpete (fresco!)
Aguia
Aguia

04.25.2002 17:19   Quote
Hello! My nickname is Aguia, witch means "eagle" I've only been doing Capoeira for about four months, but I did two years of gymnastics in high school. My teacher gave me that nickname becuase he said I "fly" with "grace" and "power" when I do flips and stuff. I like my name alot, and wouldn't change it for anything...besides I think it fits me well! HAHAHA! ZUM ZUM ZUM!!! AXE CAPOEIRA! Aguia
slumber
slumber

04.29.2002 17:13   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Aguia": well, my nick is gaviao which means hawk (as mentioned above....) but i don't know how i got it!! when i got it, i could hardly au :)) muito axe gaviao
Salseiro
Salseiro

04.29.2002 18:19   Quote
Hello from Sacramento, CA My name is Salseiro, because I'm Peruvian-American and I love to salsa dance (and I am pretty good at it too). Whenever we ginga, I am the one who tends to stay on rhythm. check out my school's website: http://www.capoeiraandsamba.com/
Aguia
Aguia

04.29.2002 23:54   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "slumber": No worries man! In time you will be able to live up to your nickname...all in good time! Just don't give up! AXE! Aguia
Tabaki
Tabaki

04.30.2002 03:52   Quote
my nick name is pingween, my teacher gave it to me cas when im making hand stand im puting my hands to the sides and it looks like pingween legs. he usualy just went beside me and said stop making pingween legs, when one day he told me that im pingween. here is some of my friends nick names bolia-little ball bonikiu- little dall gaviao- i dont know what the right word for it in english, its this big bird... if somone know how to name it he can tell me
teimosia
teimosia

04.30.2002 07:12   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Tabaki": The correct spelling is bolinha - little ball bonequinho - little doll gaviao - hawk Axe` Teimosia
covinha
covinha

04.30.2002 10:51   Quote
Hi! My name is Covinha, becouse when I smile, I have like little holes in my face, I dont Know the english name( Im spanish, and my english is not very good)well, I think you can imagine what Im talking about. Beautiful, no?
slumber
slumber

04.30.2002 16:11   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Tabaki": i'll say once again than my nick is gaviao sorry if i tire you.... :( i just found it very interesting that someone has the same nick with me :) btw...what is gaviao??check my profile for a pic :) muito axe
Joaninha
Joaninha

04.30.2002 16:15   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "covinha": Covinha, Those "holes in your face" are called dimples. Keep smiling! Joaninha
BobRezende
BobRezende

04.30.2002 16:18   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "slumber": Hey slumber... did you know that this hawk you use as your symbol here is a Harpia from Brazil. It is one of the symbols of the brazilian republic and is the strongest and biggest bird of pray in the world Axe'
covinha
covinha

05.01.2002 05:47   Quote
Hi Joaninha! Thanks, you know, sometimes its difficult, becouse Idont Know how to say the things in a good english, so Thanks! Ill do it! XXXX Covinha
daishoo
daishoo

05.01.2002 09:53   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "covinha": Well, I'll substitute Teimosia as an official translator :) (Hey teimosia, when will you tell us the meaning of your own nick?) Covinha = dimple Now tell me, what is the word in spanish for this? abrac'os daishoo
daishoo
daishoo

05.01.2002 09:55   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "daishoo": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Oh, sorry!! I was too late! :) Joaninha had already done the translation! Sorry again guys daishoo
daishoo
daishoo

05.01.2002 10:07   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "slumber": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Just to complete BobRezende's information of the Harpia. Gaviao is a generic name for many birds of prey in Brazil. If you want to see some pictures you can go to www.google.com choose the "images" flip and type in gaviao. abrac'os daishoo
jacareDC
jacareDC

05.01.2002 10:25   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "eng479": I'm pretty sure that's 'borboleta'. peace :)
Estrela713
Estrela713

05.02.2002 02:58   Quote
My name is Estrela which means "star" in english. It was given to me because I led my brother and a friend to Capoeira class. It was our first time and we haven't ever regretted it since.
Angoleiro
Angoleiro

05.02.2002 04:19   Quote
I go by the name of Sangue Bom, Good Blood, cause the mestre understood right away, what flows in me. There is a poem named Sangue Bom, if anybody understands portuguese and cares to read at www.abadacapoeira.com.br/sangue.html. And a recipe at http://usc.stcecilia.br/~edvalor/arvores_e_ervas/receitas.htm Enjoy! Sangue Bom
fabio
fabio

05.03.2002 12:55   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Angoleiro":(Fabio is just becuase my real name is fabrice - not always easy to say for Angolans) My name is "Crocodilo" for many resons 1- Because i've been tha-boxing for years i can support serious blows keeping on smiling like a crocodile 2- I'm so hard that sometimes young friends hurt them self on my legs (you know these terrible legs trained on wood,bamboo or concrete) like on th skin off a crocodile 3- This one i've cheated: To enforce my nickname Ive trained "Rabo da raia" to be able to look like a crocodile who try to splash his tail in his victim's face BLOW!!! Is this not pretty?? But actually it's come that it's my smile and endurance which have seduce my Agolan "Amigos".
fabio
fabio

05.03.2002 13:04   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia":About what you said there is a mishape form off this expression in cameroon (My wife is from there!) which is "ahsaia" and means at the same time "sorry" (if you learn somebody as had a bad thing in life or "good luck" or "courage" to somebody you know he is going to intend any difficult action!
slumber
slumber

05.06.2002 05:26   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "BobRezende": no my friend i didn't know about it but tell me 1)is the picture wrong??? i searched for gaviao in internet, and i came across tis one!! isn't it a gaviao sketch?? 2)is this symbol something good or bad for u brazilians 3)if i have the correct pic and it is something good.... my nick gets better and better, day by day muito axe!!! gaviao
covinha
covinha

05.06.2002 06:13   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "daishoo": Hi daishoo!The spanish word for covinha is "hoyuelos", beutifull word,no? ;P XXXX Covinha
teimosia
teimosia

05.06.2002 07:23   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "slumber": There`s a pic of a gaviao at http://sapujo.vila.bol.com.br/fotos/2001/gaviao.jpg I took it last year, here in Brazil. Axe` Teimosia
slumber
slumber

05.06.2002 10:47   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": nice pic teiposia hwever.....is py pic correct?? what about "the symbol" bird in my profile :) muito axe gaviao
slumber
slumber

05.06.2002 10:48   Quote
i meant teimosia sorryz..... :( :)
teimosia
teimosia

05.07.2002 07:04   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "slumber": "hwever.....is py pic correct?? what about "the symbol" bird in my profile :)" Your "symbol" seems to be a harpia. It's a kind of eagle, not a hawk. Hawks are generally smaller than eagles, and quite common in Brazil. Nowadays, eagles are rare while hawks can be found even in cities... Axe' Teimosia
slumber
slumber

05.08.2002 06:31   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": when i came across this pic on the internet, it said that this is a "sketch" of a "gaviao real". it had a pic of it too, but i liked the sketch more :) it had some other pictures of "gaviao" as well, but they were common hawks. probably, i chose the wrong pic :((( too bad (not that i don't like hawks....hawks rule :) thanx for the feedback.... more feedback welcome :) muito axe gaviao
Malandro
Malandro

05.08.2002 23:47   Quote
I am called Malandro, which in english means "Rogue." I was given this name because of my unique way of performing an "Ao Batido" or sometimes called "Ao Malandro." It was also given to me because of my personality. Even though the batido is a simple move and can be considered very ineffective, it is one of my favorites. I haven't been studying Capoeria long, but what I have studied I love. I hope some day to settle down (I'm currently traveling across the world) and finally find a school I can be part of for more than a couple of months. Malandro
Malandro
Malandro

05.08.2002 23:52   Quote
I am called Malandro, which in english means "Rogue." I was given this name because of my unique way of performing an "Ao Batido" or sometimes called "Ao Malandro." It was also given to me because of my personality. Even though the batido is a simple move and can be considered very ineffective, it is one of my favorites. I haven't been studying Capoeria long, but what I have studied I love. I hope some day to settle down (I'm currently traveling across the world) and finally find a school I can be part of for more than a couple of months. Malandro
Malandro
Malandro

05.08.2002 23:53   Quote
ack.... sorry about that, didn't mean for it to happen twice
grande
grande

05.09.2002 08:04   Quote
I am called Tim. Tim the Enchanter. No, not really. I got the nickname grande, which means big. I guess im big, in comparison to my teacher, anyway. He said I reminded him of one of his training partners back in Brasil. Oh, and it sounds like my name (Grant), which is derived from the same word.
slumber
slumber

05.15.2002 16:30   Quote
hi there it's me slumber.... :) again my teachers changed my nick :(( they used to call me gaviao....but they changed it because there was already a gaviao in the group, who started earlier than me.... well i don't know yet, i have to check it out :( but my new nick will be "carcarA" does anyone know what it means or how it is spelled? i was told than it means "the one who enjoys to play a lot in the roda, or smth like that" help!! :) muito axe slumber (or gaviao....or carcara) looool
Joaninha
Joaninha

05.15.2002 20:20   Quote
My name is Joaninha, It means ladybug or ladybird. When I first started capoeira, I seemed shy and reserved, but after a few classes I learned queda des rins and others. I guess my teacher was surprised. He compared me to seeing a ladybug for the first time. At first you just think it is an earth-bound beetle, but surprises you by opening its wings and flying. I liked it immediately, and I drew ladybugs on the ends of my maculele sticks. I hope I can continue to live up to my name. Ate logo
teimosia
teimosia

05.16.2002 08:54   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "slumber": "but my new nick will be "carcarA" does anyone know what it means or how it is spelled?" Carcara (with an acute on last "a") is also a kind of hawk. It's more common in Brazils northeast, and known by being extremely aggressive although it's relatively small. Carcaras are known for being very efficient killers, attacking animals bigger than them (cow and horse pups, for instance). There is a traditional brazilian song that says "Carcara is an evil animal. It pulls the bellybutton [of pups] until they're dead". This "bad-bird" image is exactly because carcaras can reduce a farm's cattle drastically - it does not mean the bird is really an evil thing. Just instincts :-) Axe' Teimosia
Peninha
Peninha

05.17.2002 07:21   Quote
Tudo Bem, Camarás! My nickname is Peninha - which means "Little Feather". Mestre Custodio did my Batizado and gave me this name because of they way i move - not feather-like! During my jogo I changed the direction of an Armada and popped him on the back of the head! He tried his hardest to sweep me but couldn't....at the end of the jogo when we shook hands I made the mistake of looking down - the Mestre promptly caught me in the chest with a Benção, knocking me backwards!! He warned me never to lose eye contact with an opponant, ever! Axé, Peninha
Ofer
Ofer

05.17.2002 08:09   Quote
I am called Brinquinho that means a silver earing couse i got one in my ear snd one in my nose. i dont get it, the brazilians have no imagination? i know almost all the names that people wrote on this pages couse i know people in israel with this names... cant they be more creative and original?
slumber
slumber

05.17.2002 08:35   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": thanx a lot for the feedback my friend :) u brazilians rule!! wish i could come to your country sometime!! muito axe carcara :)))
lefy
lefy

05.17.2002 08:49   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "slumber":my instructor name is carcara... and by the way i dont think theres suppose to be any problem with two capoeirstas having the same name...
teimosia
teimosia

05.17.2002 09:02   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "lefy": "and by the way i dont think theres suppose to be any problem with two capoeirstas having the same name... " Be sure there is no problem. I know a dozen "Zumbi", one hundred "Besouro", one thousand "Escorpiao", "Chacal", "Pato", "Macaco", "Gato", "Marreco", "Mosquito" and so on... Axe' Teimosia
Dobrado
Dobrado

05.17.2002 09:03   Quote
Alo, gente. My nickname is Dobrado. Dobrado is the past tense of the verb dobrar, which means "to bend". I got it when I first started Capoeira and my class was praticing moves like reversao, beija flor, macaco, etc. Wel, seeing as how I could bend and flex every which way when doing those kinds of moves, the called me Dobrado (Bent)
teimosia
teimosia

05.17.2002 09:06   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Dobrado": "Dobrado is the past tense of the verb dobrar, which means "to bend"" Dobrado is also a slang that means "very muscly guy". Axe' Teimosia
miudinha
miudinha

05.17.2002 11:29   Quote
Hi! My name is miudinha! It means "little one" My teacher gave that name to me because.... I'm the little one in class - -- - but Im wondering why every time I tell my name to someone who speaks Portuguese they giggle --- all well -- I like the name and I'm proud of it : )
slumber
slumber

05.17.2002 17:54   Quote
of course there is no problem, to have more than one students in a group with the same name. however, i guess, the did it because 1)the first one was given to me very quickly 2)we are not so many students, so being unique (as long as the teachers have "ideas") would be better. well 'til next time.... muito axe carcara :)
Acanhado
Acanhado

05.20.2002 21:38   Quote
so teimosia....you know any Acanhadas? lol....
kooij
kooij

05.22.2002 12:20   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": Say, how many "Gergelim"-s do you know??? That's my nick name and (if I am not mistaken) it means sesame seed(s?). Go figure!! According to our professor, I am as small, light, and blond as a sesame seed. Maybe I can also be a pain in the ass, as a sesame seed stuck between your teeth??? In any case - you have to hand it to him - he can come up with the strangest nick names!! We have this one guy who is called "cucumber" (pepino?), another one called "bottle" and a girl called "cottenete(?)" (the stick-with-cotton-wool thing you clean your ears with)....
MorenoMtl
MorenoMtl

05.22.2002 14:29   Quote
Salve Capoeiristas, Meu apelido e Moreno, which refers to my light skin complexion and my laid back attitude!! Salve and check out this page: http://www.paubrasil.ca we have a workshop and batizado coming up!!
Salseiro
Salseiro

05.23.2002 13:58   Quote
What does Maloquinha mean? A girl in my class has that name, and the closest I can find is a city in Brazil with that name.
Peninha
Peninha

05.24.2002 07:01   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Salseiro": Salseiro, loco = crazy malouco = very crazy maloucinha = the little very crazy one!! Translating directly sucks! But i'm sure you understand! Axé
furaquinho
furaquinho

05.25.2002 08:03   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "VentoLevou": Are you a student from Marreta?
furaquinho
furaquinho

05.25.2002 08:06   Quote
My capoeira name is Acai (say Ahsahee) it's a brazilian fruit from the north east of Brazil and very small(just like me), light brown( just like me ) and gives you a lot of energy. My padrinho gave me this name the night before I was baptised and the next day he gave it to me officially. He said I played with a lot of energy that reminded him of Acai so there you go...In Brazil it's easy to get a nickname, I had many when I was there. See you
aaFreddie
aaFreddie

05.25.2002 19:49   Quote
Axé! My nickname is Mercurinho. I ussually sing solo in the roda, and I love Queen so my Mestre called me Mercurinho, because of Freddie Mercury. seeya guys! Andres Guazzelli mercurinho
teimosia
teimosia

05.27.2002 11:26   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Salseiro": "What does Maloquinha mean? A girl in my class has that name, and the closest I can find is a city in Brazil with that name." Maloquinha = little indian house Maluquinha = little crazy girl Axe' Teimosia
SantoGuerreira
SantoGuerreira

05.31.2002 18:39   Quote
The kids in my first academie started calling me ganso because I have a long neck, wide feet, and (at that time) a big butt. Also, when I play my head goes up and down slightly, well..... like a ganso (goose).At least they didn't call me Pato which is a duck. I used to hate it and would wish it was changed to Cisne which is a swan. Now I love the name as it fits my personality perfectly. I like to talk(honk, honk!!) alot with the others students and I am extremely protective of my friends in the academie. Where I am from in the country people would use a large goose as a watchdog. SantoGuerreira is my Guardian Angels' name.
capoeiristamage
capoeiristamage

05.31.2002 20:04   Quote
ok i don't have a name i live in barbados and we don't have a mestre.(nevermind my profile i couldn't select Barbados) my instructor is Macaco (he is very good) and we are members of Grupo Axe Capoeira does a mestre have to give u ur name? i was hoping to find my way to a workshop or batzido(i don't think i spelt it right) sometime in the winter. PS. u people r starting to worry me, Mestre Barrao does not have a preference for Disney characters does he? ^-^'
Mae
Mae

06.01.2002 10:41   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "capoeiristamage": Lol, no I have never seen a cartoon character given in our Academy. Usually nicknames are something about how you look or how you play. And Mestre doesn't give you your nickname necessarily at the Batizado, but when it comes to him. Also, our Instructors have been know to give someone a nickname because they teach their own classes in different locations and Mestre will support those nicknames.
slumber
slumber

06.01.2002 18:23   Quote
my nick was given to me after my batizado, and it was changed a couple of weeks later to my new "permanent" nick :) In my class there are 2 teachers Conta Meste Pittbull (who "supports" my nick) and Professor Cobra (who gave me the name) so i guess, not only a Mestre can give you a name i believe that your name is given to you by your teacher and especially the one (if you have more than one) who pays more attention to you hope i helped (though my English suck lately :) muito axe carcara
0cigana
0cigana

06.01.2002 20:11   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "HumanWrecK": Prea (with an accent on the a) is a rodent more like a rat or a squirel than a guiney pig. It is native to north eastern Brazil. My friend Stan has the same name and our friends in Sao Paolo searched long and hard in the encyclopedia to find a picture for us. Muito axe Cigana(gypsy)
Mae
Mae

06.01.2002 21:45   Quote
I answered Capoeiristamage's question but didn't add my own nickname story. Anyway, I used to train in another school, where Cigana also trains (hi by the way). I was given the nickname Sereia (because he thought my hair looked like mermaid hair) at my first batizado and my son was given Feijãozinho (little bean). Then I switched to Mestre Barrão's Academy and he told me that I couldn't use the same nickname. And my son said that he didn't want his either because it had "little" in it. So Mestre said as a joke, then you're just Feijão and it stuck. I don't know how I got Mãe, it was actually Mestre's wife that started calling me that because my son and I both train. Then other people started calling me that as well.
Barril
Barril

06.03.2002 07:03   Quote
Well, My nickname's Barril. My friend called me that becaouse in the past I was very fat and when I was doing some movies from capoeira I fell down and round...just like barril
teimosia
teimosia

06.03.2002 12:19   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "slumber": Hey, Slumber ! I've found the lyrics for the music "Carcara" (by Joao do Vale). I've stripped all the accents, and added some translation: Carcara Carcara La no sertao : In the countryside E um bicho que avoa que nem aviao : It's an animal that flies like a plane E um passaro malvado : it's an evil bird Tem o bico volteado que nem gaviao : with a hook-shaped beak like a hawk Carcara Quando ve roca queimada : when sees burned plantations Sai voando, cantando, : starts flying, singing Carcara Vai fazer sua cacada : will start it's hunt Carcara come inte cobra queimada : Carcara eats even burned snakes Quando chega o tempo da invernada : When wet season comes O sertao nao tem mais roca queimada : Countryside has no more burned places Carcara mesmo assim num passa fome : Carcara never starves Os burrego que nasce na baixada : The horse pups that are born in the fields Carcara Pega, mata e come : gets, kills and eats Carcara Num vai morrer de fome : will never starve Carcara Mais coragem do que home : braver than men Carcara Pega, mata e come : gets, kills and eats Carcara e malvado, e valentao : carcara is evil and tough E a aguia de la do meu sertao : it's the eagle from countryside Os burrego novinho num pode anda : the little pups can't walk Ele puxa o umbigo inte mata : It pulls the bellybutton till death Carcara Pega, mata e come : gets, kills and eats Carcara Num vai morrer de fome : will never starve Carcara Mais coragem do que home : braver than men Carcara Pega, mata e come : gets, kills and eats Axe' Teimosia
slumber
slumber

06.04.2002 08:34   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": HEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY A CARCARA CAPOEIRA SONG??? THAT'S GREAT!!!! THANX MAN!!! AS I TOLD YOU BEFORE, YOU BRAZILIANS RULE!!!! THANX A LOT MY FRIEND THAT THE BEST POST (RELATED TO ME) I'VE EVER HAD!!!! (sorry for the caps, but i'm SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!) i'll tell my mestre or professor about it so they find it for me if possible!!! coolllll muito axe carcara (E um bicho que avoa que nem aviao) :)))))))))))))))))))))
teimosia
teimosia

06.04.2002 11:06   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "slumber": "HEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY A CARCARA CAPOEIRA SONG???" The song "Carcara" is not a capoeira song... It's a forro song (do you know forro ? It's a typical rythm from Brazil), but nothing prevents you from singing it as a capoeira song. If you want, I can send it for you in MP3 format. Just drop me a message with your e-mail... Axe' Teimosia
smokez01
smokez01

06.05.2002 15:45   Quote
oi, i dont have a nick name yet, i wonder wich one would best represent me i am very good at learning things VERY FAST, all my friends who i ask on how to do things they show me how to make something and i get it very fast and they always say you were the first one to get it on your first try, i dont pay atention that much to things unless im very interested in it, and also the first tiem i ever drove a car was a manual and i didnt stall at all, i went up t 5th grear and did reverse, i even did a burn-out, didnt stall once, well only once, that was when i was braking, i didnt know you had to be in neutral when you brae and also you could hit the clutch and also brake at same time which is better i was thinking eagle since its my favorite animal, and also i always think about sky divign and flying, and i like to play around alot, as in make fun of my friends and they make fun of me too, i read somewhere here that spanish people always make fun of eachother, now i figured out thats why we do, heh but ill have to see what nick name i reveice, i took tae kwon do for 4 or 5 years and i was really good, i almost nailed every single move i was taught really fas, one thing i was never that good with is when someone pushed me and i didnt predict it, i never had a good stance with my feet i always stumble, i hope capoeira will fix that, but i could stand on 1 leg for about 15-20 minutes and i could break 4 boards in a jump fly kick in tae kwon do, the boards were about an inch thick, i was really good at jump kicks, i could kick VERY HIGH, but one thing i noticed about my self is that i cant jump vertically that high very well, i hope to improve that too with capoeira, in capoeira i hope to learn how to do a straddle split, hand stand, front/back flip and many more things every time i talk about something i get carried away in a diferent topic, =P but im still wondering what name would suit me well, :) axe! -stephan
Peninha
Peninha

06.06.2002 03:00   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "smokez01": Hi, Just so you know - picking a nickname is not your decision. It will be decided by a Nestre (sometimes by a teacher, only sometimes though) at your Batizado. When the Mestre chooses your nickname, you may not even like it!! It totally comes down to the Mestre's opinion/impression of you - maybe you remind him of someone he knows, maybe you have an obvious feature or characteristic or maybe he'll just give you a name that he thinks up at that moment. Anyway, that's how it works!! Axé. Peninha
smokez01
smokez01

06.06.2002 14:32   Quote
yea, thanks for reminding me, i was thinking am i aloud to pick it or not, and sicne i read everyones post that there Mestre picked it for them i just quickly figured i cant pick my own and its givin to me, so thats why i am wonderign what name i would be givin :)
jerin6
jerin6

06.07.2002 12:44   Quote
I was just given a name earlier this week. It is "Lourinha", which apparently means both "small parrot" and "little blonde girl." I'm not sure how I feel about it, but hey, it could be worse.
MorenoMtl
MorenoMtl

06.10.2002 12:25   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "MorenoMtl": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Salve Capoeiristas, Meu apelido e Moreno, which refers to my light skin complexion and my laid back attitude!! Salve and check out this page: http://www.paubrasil.ca we have a workshop and batizado coming up!! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ''Me leva, Moreno me leva, Me leva pro seu bungalow, Me leva Moreno, me ama Moreno, meu bem que eu vou''
MorenoMtl
MorenoMtl

06.10.2002 12:25   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "MorenoMtl": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Salve Capoeiristas, Meu apelido e Moreno, which refers to my light skin complexion and my laid back attitude!! Salve and check out this page: http://www.paubrasil.ca we have a workshop and batizado coming up!! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ''Me leva, Moreno me leva, Me leva pro seu bungalow, Me leva Moreno, me ama Moreno, meu bem que eu vou''
sampler
sampler

06.10.2002 16:49   Quote
My nickname is torch, because of my weird love for anything that is on fire and because I do this trick with a lighter where i hold the end of the lighter in between my thumb and first finger,, let the gas leak into my hand, then light the lighter. It looks like a torch(in a way anyhow).
JAXS02
JAXS02

06.11.2002 07:56   Quote
My nickname is Bomba. . . which is good and bad. I got it from one of my instructors who said (and rightfully so) that I play very hard and a little crazy at first and then I kind of fizzle out like a firecracker. I have another instructor (who is also a good friend of mine) that calls me Grande- as a pun b/c I am 5'3 but kinda built. . . so I am like a small-big guy Bomba (Joe)
Peninha
Peninha

06.11.2002 10:31   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "MorenoMtl": Salve Capoeiristas, Meu apelido e Moreno, which refers to my light skin complexion and my laid back attitude!! Salve and check out this page: http://www.paubrasil.ca we have a workshop and batizado coming up!! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ''Me leva, Moreno me leva, Me leva pro seu bungalow, Me leva Moreno, me ama Moreno, meu bem que eu vou'' ************** Hey Moreno! We sing a different version of that song..... Me leva morena, me leva Me leva no seu bangalo Me leva morena, me leva O noite e frio sou seu coberto! Me leva morena, me leva Me leva no seu bangalo Me leva morena, me leva Hoje sou aluno amanha sou professor! Axé Moreno!
littlelion
littlelion

07.04.2002 22:02   Quote
My nickname is Leao'.guess what it means.I was very afraid when getting my nickname because some people get some not so great ones.I never really liked Lions because I would watch nature documentries and they would say that lions were more like scavengers.I was named I think because at the time I had long hair and everyone agreed that I looked like one.Now I think of the biggest baddest cat of the jungle and the symbol for so many great things. MMMEEEOOOWWWWWW!
YongueGuy
YongueGuy

07.05.2002 09:04   Quote
mine is Abacaxi, meaning Pineapple. My instructors like to make fun of how much gel i put in my hair making it stiff and spiked like a pineapple top.
silvario
silvario

07.05.2002 10:39   Quote
hey everyone i am just getting started in the art of capoiera and i was just wondering if you guys thought it was hard to learn i have watched some "professionals" and it looks like i will never be as good as them.
MarinheiroSD
MarinheiroSD

07.05.2002 19:04   Quote
My nickname is Marinheiro (sailor), given to me by my old instructor after I joined the Navy. Yeah, not too exciting. Mestre Panao gave me another name, Bandit. Something about some cartoon (possibly the dog offa Johnny Quest), and the faces I sometimes make in the roda when I'm playing.
BobRezende
BobRezende

07.06.2002 09:42   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "littlelion": I think that "MMMEEEOOOWWWWWW!" was more from a kitty cat than of a lion... ha,ha,ha.... muito axe.
PavaoCapoeiraAZ
PavaoCapoeiraAZ

07.08.2002 16:15   Quote
My name is Pavao....peacock. At first I was a little upset by this because I thought it meant that I was a show off or a frivolous, which is what most people think of....but in actuallity, I was told I got this name because I don't show my personality (feathers) to everyone at all times but when I do, it's a beautiful sight to watch! So I guess I got a good one. Axe' Pavao
galoAus
galoAus

07.09.2002 02:58   Quote
Well mine is "Galo". It means "Rooster", but originally we thought it meant "bump on the head" - similar, in Spanish, to "Chichon" or "Turupe". Like when you get knocked in teh head with something, you grow a lump. The reason why I got this is because I am a Sikh and I wear a small turban and it looks like i have this ball or lump on my head. We all found it quite funny. But now I just say it means rooster coz i dont know is it has that other meaning. Maybe someone can tell me.
BobRezende
BobRezende

07.10.2002 08:15   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "galoAus": How can you play with a turbant and don't let it drop ?
AkA
AkA

10.17.2002 22:22   Quote
I just got my nome de guerra today! I'm now called "Curioso" because so far every class i've had I always ask my instructor a few questions about the origins of Capoeira, the berimbau, moves, etc. Often I ask him about things I see on this forum (Axe, malicia...). My batizado is in a month, but it I guess my instructor thought the time was perfect for giving me my nickname!
XchopsX
XchopsX

10.18.2002 02:13   Quote
That is way rad I am happy for you........I still havent gotten mine yet but I have a while before that.
benx
benx

10.18.2002 18:18   Quote
my capoeira nickname is "pititinga", which is carved on my berimbau made by my instructor. he told me that "pititinga" means a small fish in Brazil, i guess maybe it's because i am slim and skinny, but i really like how this name sounds --- pee chi chin ga , and i found that there have a beach in Brazil has this name as well. anybody else can give me more info about this name? teimosia? thanks in advance. axe, camara!
teimosia
teimosia

10.19.2002 17:04   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "benx": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - my capoeira nickname is "pititinga", which is carved on my berimbau made by my instructor. he told me that "pititinga" means a small fish in Brazil, i guess maybe it's because i am slim and skinny, but i really like how this name sounds --- pee chi chin ga , and i found that there have a beach in Brazil has this name as well. anybody else can give me more info about this name? teimosia? thanks in advance. axe, camara! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Your instructor is right. "Pititinga" is a kind of fish, and also the name of an amazing beach in northeas Brazil, and yet an indian word that means "white skin". In the link below you can see some great photos of Pititinga beach: http://www.cidadespotiguares.hpg.ig.com.br/pititinga.htm Axé Teimosia
benx
benx

10.20.2002 05:58   Quote
obrigado, Teimosia! axe
OZmorena
OZmorena

10.20.2002 06:54   Quote
my instructor gave me my nickname the first time i met him. i have yet to be at a batizado, and i hope it doesnt change. he said it is what a "coloured" female is called - and well i am. so i guess it fits.
Negativa
Negativa

11.16.2002 03:54   Quote
My nickname's just Negativa - because I seem to spend a lot of time doing floor techniques...
Charmosa
Charmosa

11.16.2002 08:52   Quote
My apelido is Penelope Charmosa, from a cartoon i belive. At first it was only Charmosa which means charming but what my professore wanted to say was posh. I was given this nickname because in the summer when we used to train outside on the grass I wouldnt want to sit down or do a headstand cause I didnt want to get my abada and my hair dirty.
hopeajuopa
hopeajuopa

11.16.2002 15:02   Quote
I got my nickname, Vibração, after a roda a few months ago, When asked what it meant, though it's almost self-explatonary, my teacher said that I brought so much axé and vibrations to the roda that my name should be Vibração, which it is now, so... *nods* Axé.
Chapeuzinho
Chapeuzinho

11.17.2002 23:54   Quote
Ok My nick name is Chapeuzinho vermelho, which is the equivalent of Little Red Ridinghood in portuguese. I go mine at my first batizado because i had very red hair at the time. (obrigada, Contra-mestre Curumim) It was very much what people could come up with at the spur of the moment and didn't mean a great deal to me or anyone else at the time, I guess they just felt bad for me for not having a nickname. Anyway it seems to have stuck and Chapeuzinho it is. At first i kind of wanted a new name but I dread to think what my teachers would come up with if they had time to think about it. Best to stick with the fairy tale and watch out for the big bad wolf.
galoAus
galoAus

11.18.2002 07:02   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "BobRezende": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "galoAus": How can you play with a turbant and don't let it drop ? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - BobRezende, sorry i havent checked this thread in ages. well the turban that i wear is different to the wrap-around types. younger sikhs where this type. its kinda hard to explain....but it doesnt slip off easily unless u yank it off....n ive had a bit of that during school times. salve axe, Galo.
Bola82
Bola82

11.29.2002 19:34   Quote
Well my nickname is as ya all probably guessed Bola, it's 'cause of my tummy :-) I have a stomach shaped like a ball. My Proffesor spendt a week trying to figure out my name(I had been practicing for 4 years, but had a batizado first then!). He was so pleased when he found a name that fit perfectly :-) Other names in my group: Prego(nail)- 'cause he was stiff as a nail, and with a little work(hammering) he might get better :-) Tomaté(tomatoe?)- cause he's round like one and blushes easily :-) Bebé(baby)- 'cause he's just like a baby(the way he moves I guess :-) Goiabinha(fruit)- he has dimples that resemple fruit pods Bruce Lee(well go figure... He really looks like Bruce Lee :-) Poposoda(ant with a big a$$), cause she's gotta big a$$, which is a compliment in Brazil! Indiö(Indian)- 'Cause he's from India Tampinha(short of growth)- 'Cause she's REALLY small Sossegado(quiet/tranquil?)- 'cause he is... Alfinete(needle)- He's slim like a needle I could name more, but that's it for now our Proffesore - Chulapa, was called that because it's a name of a soccer player that used to argue every other game, Chulapa argued every practice with his Mestre Bimba(not the Deceased Bimba, but another Mestre Bimba), and his master told him that if he didn't stop arguing, he couldn't practice Capoeira any more. Now Chulapa is one of the most tranquil and easy to do with people I know on the planet! Guess his master did turn him out for the good :-) Axé Camerá!!! every one of you p.s. it's a trend in our groupo to get a name that makes a little fun off you as a person, they do it to instill a sence of self humor, to make you not take everything as serious. Our Proffesore also just said the name that came first to his head, though my name he had to think about, he did a good job :-)
fizoid
fizoid

12.01.2002 06:37   Quote
Axe' I just had my batizado today :) Finally got a nickname. Mestre Maurau called me "Maheku", or at least thats how he pronounced it. He said it means duck. Just wanna confirm the spelling and meaning. Are they right? Thanx a million.
ferret
ferret

12.01.2002 06:47   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "fizoid": congrats on your baptizado fizoid.. can't help you with your nickname though but it sounds neat.. expect your neighbour Capoeira grupo soon, cause we're planning a roadtrip down to Singapore to check your school out.. Mestre Ousada has been pretty keen about the idea.. axe camara..
deeneon
deeneon

12.01.2002 07:26   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "fizoid": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Axe' I just had my batizado today :) Finally got a nickname. Mestre Maurau called me "Maheku", or at least thats how he pronounced it. He said it means duck. Just wanna confirm the spelling and meaning. Are they right? Thanx a million. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - It's spelled marreco :)
fizoid
fizoid

12.01.2002 07:46   Quote
OBRIGADO :)
shirel
shirel

12.01.2002 10:26   Quote
i have a new nickname too... its patriota cause i rode all the way to my first capoeira class on my bicycle. does anyone know if patriota its for a girl and patrioto its for a boy?
Lvin
Lvin

12.02.2002 04:20   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "ferret": Hey Ferret, i from Argola De Ouro Singapore too same Maheku...Salve capoeiristas! Btw, our mestre just left for Vienna and will only be back sometime in January..We will indeed be happy to see you guys come buy a jogo. Real exciting to meet fellow capoeirstas. Btw, my nickname given mby my mestre was "Discipulo". Thinks it means disciple..just like Aluno.
teimosia
teimosia

12.02.2002 04:31   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "shirel": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - i have a new nickname too... its patriota cause i rode all the way to my first capoeira class on my bicycle. does anyone know if patriota its for a girl and patrioto its for a boy? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - "Patriota" means "Patriot", and it's a word which doesn't vary with gender. So, it's "Patriota" for boy and girl. Axé Teimosia
FlorzinhaAzul
FlorzinhaAzul

12.02.2002 05:31   Quote
Hey!! er du fra capoeira na chuva?? Jeg er fra capoeira na neve, men jeg har ikke tid til å skrive mye, jegv il egentlig sprre om et par ting... Mitt navn er forresten Florzinha!!
dasboi
dasboi

12.03.2002 06:29   Quote
hey hey lvin! wow... its like suddenly after we got our nicks we started to post ya? haha! neway i got "volta grande". still wondering how i got that though...
teimosia
teimosia

12.03.2002 07:58   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "dasboi": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - hey hey lvin! wow... its like suddenly after we got our nicks we started to post ya? haha! neway i got "volta grande". still wondering how i got that though... - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - "Volta grande" literally means "big round". In capoeira context, it is used to mean "volta ao mundo" (world's round) - when one (or two) capoeiristas walk the inner part of the roda, to rest or to show the actual players they want to buy in (at least, it's what we do in my school). "Volta grande" was also the nickname of a famous Bimba student. He was a great player, but had a serious heart disease, and died in a roda in his 20 years. There's a ladainha in his homage, which Samurai and I have put online at http://www.typotor.com/~para/capoeira/songs/ Follow the lyrics: A morte de Volta Grande (Volta Grande's Death) ---------------------------------------------- A capoeira tem mistérios : Capoeira has mysteries Lendas que ao tempo resistem : Time-resistant legends Umas contam histórias alegres : Some tell happy stories Outras contam histórias tristes : Some tell sad stories Triste como foi a morte : Sad as the death Desse jovem capoeira : Of this young capoeirista Mesmo adorando a vida : He loved life Ela lhe foi traiçoeira : But it was treacherous to him E apesar de muito moço : And even being such a young guy Não pode cumprir seus planos : He couldn't accomplish his plans Pois foi pêgo pela morte : Cause was caught by death Logo aos seus vinte anos : Exactly at his 20 years Internado no hospital : Lying in a hospital Sofrendo do coração : With heart problems Bem longe da capoeira : Far away from capoeira Sua vida, sua paixão : His life, his passion Falou para sua mãe : [He] talked to his mother Tudo o que ele mais queria : What he wanted the most Era morrer numa roda : Was die inside the roda Treinando na academia : Training in the academy Deus lhe foi bem caridoso : God was generous E esse prazer lhe deu : And gave him this pleasure Na roda de capoeira : Inside the roda O Volta Grande morreu : Volta Grande has died Na hora do seu enterro : During his burial Uma roda em seu louvor : A roda was made in his honor Foi tão grande a emoção : There was so big emotion Que todo mundo chorou : Everybody cried Iê viva meu Deus... Axé Teimosia
dadragon26
dadragon26

12.03.2002 08:12   Quote
not an "official" nickname given to me by a mestre, but some of my friends call me Dragão ( guess what that means ;):P) It's because the way I play; I tend to watch my co-player for a while, before exploding in a fast paced game of acrobatics, combined with fast kicks (that is, if it's aproppriate but it's my preferred style of play) it's also because I always have a necklace with a small silver dragon around my neck at all times I like the name :) Muito Axé DaDragão
Vastiz
Vastiz

12.03.2002 09:38   Quote
Two days ago was my batismo. Meu mestre called me Alemao, because i'm tall, blond and i've got blue eye's.I like this nickname, but i really enjoy'd the nickname he gave to another capoeirista: espanador, 'cause of his terrible long hairs...
shirel
shirel

12.03.2002 12:22   Quote
i dont deserve my batizado............ i forget how to do back handspring!!!!!!!!!! whaaa whhhaaa whhhaaaaaaaa its not fair....... a month ago i did back handsprig perfectly on floor....... but i fbump my head into the ground..... broke my pinky for the last two weeks.... when my pinky got better i did back handspring and sparin my wrist and now i cant do a back handspring!!!!!! somebody help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO DIE!
teimosia
teimosia

12.03.2002 12:54   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "shirel": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - i dont deserve my batizado............ i forget how to do back handspring!!!!!!!!!! whaaa whhhaaa whhhaaaaaaaa its not fair....... a month ago i did back handsprig perfectly on floor....... but i fbump my head into the ground..... broke my pinky for the last two weeks.... when my pinky got better i did back handspring and sparin my wrist and now i cant do a back handspring!!!!!! somebody help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO DIE! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Cool down, man... Capoeira is not about being able to do tricks. If it were, any gymnast would be a mestre. If you do your best, if you understand capoeira philosophy, if you know about respect yourself and the other, then you deserve your batizado... Don't focus on what cord you'll get, focus the art itself. Remember cords don't play capoeira... You do. Axé Teimosia
Bola82
Bola82

12.03.2002 12:59   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "FlorzinhaAzul": Eg e fra Na Chuva ja :-) bare sp0rr ivei :-)
Lvin
Lvin

12.03.2002 21:43   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": Hey that's right! Don't let the cordao affect how you feel about yourself! Btw Teimosia, what does your nick mean?
Lvin
Lvin

12.03.2002 21:47   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "dasboi": Yo Camarade! Your nickname sounds nice. A few of us went to see mestre maurao off yesterday night.Now that mestre ousado is in Vienna and mestre maurao back in brasil, guess we have to practice ourselves. One month without singing will be boring. Prefer singing and playing the instruments then to listening to the cd. Axe Camarades!
Samurai
Samurai

12.04.2002 03:13   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Lvin": Mate, you mean the mestres took all of your tongues with them? not very nice of them to do that.. ;)
teimosia
teimosia

12.04.2002 04:09   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Lvin": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": Hey that's right! Don't let the cordao affect how you feel about yourself! Btw Teimosia, what does your nick mean? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - My nick means "stubborness". People say my mind can't be changed, but it's not that true. My mind can be changed if they have enough arguments ;-) Axé Teimosia
Lvin
Lvin

12.04.2002 04:32   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": Haha. Can i say that you are strong-willed instead of stubborn!;p
bolachinha
bolachinha

12.04.2002 08:31   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": Hi! My name is Bolachinha, or Cookie:)))) IT's because one day a friend of my group called me to play capoeira in the street after an event. In that time i was snacking a cookie, but i went anyway... and started playing with the cookie in my mouth...:)))))) thats why they call me Bolachinha:)))) i proud of being bolachinha:) AxE Bolachinha
ferret
ferret

12.04.2002 11:20   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Lvin": that'll sound alright ... it'll give time for our Muslim comrades to recuperate from all the fasting and festive season ... and train them up again hehe ... and then we'll head down to Singapore in mid-January or Feb.. till we meet in the roda! :) axe Grupo Argola De Ouro Singapore!
ferret
ferret

12.04.2002 11:36   Quote
my unofficial nickname is 'ferrão' ... I don't know if there's ever such a nick like that but the reason why I got it was 'cause I was obsessed with my pet ferret and everyone in my class knew bout it so it kinda stuck .... you do know what's a ferret right? :) are there ferrets in Brazil? axe..
teimosia
teimosia

12.04.2002 12:19   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "ferret": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - my unofficial nickname is 'ferrão' ... I don't know if there's ever such a nick like that but the reason why I got it was 'cause I was obsessed with my pet ferret and everyone in my class knew bout it so it kinda stuck .... you do know what's a ferret right? :) are there ferrets in Brazil? axe.. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Ferrets are known as "doninhas" in Brazil. I think it's not a native animal here, but one can find it in some pet shops. We have "ariranha", which is a kind of otter, but bigger. In fact people in Brazil are not used to have "unusual" pets. It's common having dogs/cats/fish/birds (some kinds), but one can't have native fauna animals (monkeys, araras, etc) because of the anti-extinction laws. On the other hand, imported pets are very expensive (iguanas, weasels and ferrets, for instance). I've seen people who have snakes/"ordinary" lizards/spiders/scorpions, but it's rare... Axé Teimosia
parede
parede

12.04.2002 12:49   Quote
Oi peoplez! I got my name because when my instructor and I were playing He attempted some grappling techniques and fond that I wasn't moving any where. So I became the "Wall"(My base martial art is Ju Jitsu, I love to grapple). Oh my last name is Walls kinda worked out that way I geuss. LOL. Axe, Parede
knave2you
knave2you

12.05.2002 19:33   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "ferret": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - my unofficial nickname is 'ferrão' ... I don't know if there's ever such a nick like that but the reason why I got it was 'cause I was obsessed with my pet ferret and everyone in my class knew bout it so it kinda stuck .... you do know what's a ferret right? :) are there ferrets in Brazil? axe.. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Careful, or it might become official! Signed, Mae de Ferraos (Mother of Ferrets - a silver-tip and a butterscotch)
knave2you
knave2you

12.05.2002 19:40   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "BobRezende": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - I can understand you, but be careful 'cause if you came here in Brazil, the people, in general will try to help and understand you. But don't use spanish here, if you're americam speak english, or ask if the people you're talking to can understand spanish. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - It might not be intentional. I took Portuguese after I had studied Spanish and I was constantly mixing them up. For instance: Me: "Qual e o numero do seu telefono?" Teacher: "It's 'telefone' in Portuguese." Me (while banging head against the wall): "Damn-damn-damn-damn!!!"
Piggy
Piggy

12.05.2002 23:24   Quote
My portuguese teacher always made fun of some of the kids in my class "I think I will be fluent in spanish by the end of the semester" and after a year with 2 kids from spain, a kid from puerto rico, and 5 spanish majors...I think she was
ferret
ferret

12.06.2002 11:28   Quote
Careful, or it might become official! Signed, Mae de Ferraos (Mother of Ferrets - a silver-tip and a butterscotch) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - I wouldn't mind if it became official! ;) in fact I'm in the midst of drawing out a silhoutte of a ferret to be tattoed on my back.. ;) mother of ferrets? what?! axe!!
Kami
Kami

12.09.2002 08:27   Quote
My nickname is kamikaze. I once drove through town on my way to a performance, with my mestre behind me in another car. I didn't pay enough attention to astoplight and found out way too late that the only way to get out of the situation was to actually speed up the car and take a turn in front of the other car approaching. It was really close, but my mestre saw the humour in it and named me kamikaze. He had been thinking of a name for me for some time and I guess he could be relieved I (accidentally) made it a lot easier ;)
Zedd
Zedd

12.09.2002 09:39   Quote
I don't have na official nickname from batizado yet, but my unofficial is Zedd. I was trying to make a backflip and I hit the ground with the back of my head. While I was trying to get up, some of my friends were walking about Pulp Fiction. When one of them asked 'Who's Zedd?' a responded with weak voice (still trying to get up) : 'Zedd's dead, babe, Zedd's dead...' =D And so it stayed Zedd ;)
Dende360
Dende360

01.14.2003 15:27   Quote
I just wanted to start a forum where people can talk about how and why they got their nicknames. Sometimes there can be some funny stories and reasons how caporistas got their names. Some people say that it isn't that important but for some reason I can tell people feel more "part of the group" after they get their names. Has anyone noticed this in their group? Anyway---> My nickname is Dende. There isn't a real interesting story behind it. I got it the second day I came to class. They explained to me what Dende Oil is. Some say I got the name because of my skin color and some people give different meanings of what is meant by the nickname. I still don't know till this day why they named me Dende. It sounds cool to me though...I like it. I like to decribe it as the "main spice" in Bahian foods. =) So what are your stories? =)
Zedd
Zedd

01.14.2003 15:38   Quote
I can be wrong, but some time ago there was a topic about that...
Giraffa
Giraffa

01.14.2003 15:40   Quote
ive managed to get two nicknames lucky me(sarcasm) the first is girafa given to me by students my second week in class 6'4" and nothing but legs the other is PATETA(sp?) which from my understanding is the character Goofy from disney land thankl Mestre Tarzan, Fabiola, and Mestre Gato. got that in 2001 capoeirando in Ilheus....fun time everyone should go Most people hate their nicknames at first but they grow on you if youre lucky
Dende360
Dende360

01.14.2003 16:03   Quote
You are probably not wrong being that there are 53 pages worth of topics there are probably is more than one...Who knows. I just felt like starting the topics so that people can share their stories again if they'd like. =)
spidermonkey
spidermonkey

01.14.2003 16:08   Quote
My nick was given to me after about three months :) Ferrugem noticed that when I was playing a game and it was getting intense I would have a tendancy to 'bounce' out of the ginga into movement. Apparently this looked to him like a little spidermonkey, and (like all nicknames) it has stuck. So now ya know :)
djtomservo
djtomservo

01.14.2003 16:55   Quote
My nickname is ousado, from what i've been able to get from mestre, it means things like bold, ostentatious, adacious, etc. The key thing he explained to me about it is that it's kinda a double edged sword, ie, like when someone says you have alot of audacity, that's not always a good thing, likewise boldness can sometimes cause you to tread a little less lightly than you should at first(: Not sure exactly what i did to get that name. . .
onechop
onechop

01.14.2003 17:45   Quote
My nickname is Jagunco, Its not exactly funny how I got because when I did I didn't know my professor very well so he named me after someone I resembled. What is funny is he lied to me for a year about what it meant because he thought he'd hurt my feelings. Jagunco apparently is the left over pulp of a sugar cane after the goodness has been taken out of it. But he thought I was upset about it and so told me he'd gotten the translation wrong and that it was actually the seed. Then just before Christmas either fessed up or forgot he'd been having me on for a year. I say at this point he did it because to make me feel better so I'm holding no grudges. The best name I ever saw was my friend who got called Captain Caveman, in portuguese of course. He got it because he weighs 240Lb and has a fairly long goatee beard and hair half way down his back. He actually looks like Worf off Star Trek. Everyone was really jellous of that one. Cheers Paul 'Jagunco' PS Theres a girl in my school called Dende as well.. small world
Nigeus
Nigeus

01.15.2003 02:05   Quote
Hmm, last sunday i recevied mine, but i noticed a problem here...It was Girafa=) (sorry Girafa, I suppose i have to change it) =)
zoadorjen
zoadorjen

01.15.2003 02:24   Quote
I don't have a nickname yet, but I like this topic! As my teacher is not a true Mestre, and is not Brazilian, I am waiting for his head honcho to come from Tokyo to give me one, unless I get to Tokyo first. As I train in a Japanese class I sometimes don't understand things, so, I have a question, do you get your nickname at a Batizado, or do you just get cords?? Sorry if this is a silly question, it's just some of you mentioned getting nicknames soon after you started....
Samurai
Samurai

01.15.2003 03:04   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "zoadorjen": It can depend on your teacher/mestre. In our school, if you participate in a batizado, but dont get a cord yet, you are given a nickname instead. That is unless you have been given one already. And if you get a cord, and still don't have a nickname, I'm sure you get both then. :) But dont hurry it, or worry about it. It took me 1 year to get mine, and now many people in our school think it is one of the more fitting and appropriate names anyone has. What my teacher said to me, was that it was based on my style and previous MA-training (TKD and Taido). What I learned later from another source, it was also based on the fact that I didn't smile that much at class, always being serious and just concentrating on the training. I've been learning to smile after that thou :)
teimosia
teimosia

01.15.2003 04:17   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "onechop": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Jagunco apparently is the left over pulp of a sugar cane after the goodness has been taken out of it. But he thought I was upset about it and so told me he'd gotten the translation wrong and that it was actually the seed. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The word for what you described (chewed/mashed sugar cane) is "bagaço". The word is also used to describe anything very used or a very tired (or very drunk) person. The "jagunços" were the thugs who worked for the big landlords ("coronéis") in the northeast of Brazil. They were the "private police", responsible for killing and intimidating people (under their boss' order). Axé Teimosia
Daystar
Daystar

01.15.2003 06:50   Quote
Ow boy, what a nickname...
Giraffa
Giraffa

01.15.2003 09:15   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Nigeus": NO DONT DO THAT THE MORE GIRAFFES THE BETTER.... IT LONELY UP HERE ;->
Nigeus
Nigeus

01.15.2003 09:43   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Giraffa": hehe ok then, I wont=), more power to the giraffes i guess=)
Akula
Akula

01.15.2003 10:07   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Giraffa": You know, when I was in elementary school, a giraffe was the guy who did'nt study for a test and crane his neck to copy someone else......13 years later, a giraffe is a tapoeirista/discoerista/capoellet pro....morph those images with the real thing ( dashing across the African savannah, avoiding lions and eating leaves with a foot long tongue......Arrrgh!!!!! *Brain Meltdown*
SPAM
SPAM

01.15.2003 10:13   Quote
My nickname is SPAM. That's the Brazilian sense of humour for you.
Formiga77
Formiga77

01.15.2003 10:20   Quote
In our group, you get a nickname whenever the upper level students think of one for you. It seems to be a few months into your training, although there are some students who have trained for a while (albeit intermittantly) who still don't have nicknames. Mine came from the fact that I'm only 5' tall and tough. And yes, I hated it at first, but have since grow to love it (especially since my mom has started calling me the mighty ant).
Davi
Davi

01.15.2003 11:04   Quote
I don't have a name yet. I don't want one yet. I don't want to be named beacuse of the first few stupid things I did in the Roda at my first batizado. I can wait till my 4th or 5th batizado....when I'm more used to a large roda, and play straight from my heart.
Daystar
Daystar

01.15.2003 11:41   Quote
Hey, a guestion for one of the people out there who speak Brazilian Portuguese. My nickname is Cascinha, it was given to me by mestre Cascavel, but I have no idea why he gave it to me. Any thoughts?
Dende360
Dende360

01.15.2003 11:46   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Davi": I feel you Davi. I wonder what my name would have been if they waited longer. My friend who came with me and got her name "Bahiana" the same day is nothing like her name. She got it because she was wearing all white with a white head wrap. When I tell people my name they say it truely fits me. Hey one chop...How did the girl in your group get the name Dende?
marciano
marciano

01.15.2003 12:00   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Dende360": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - My friend who came with me and got her name "Bahiana" the same day is nothing like her name. She got it because she was wearing all white with a white head wrap. When I tell people my name they say it truely fits me. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Thats funny about the white, I got my nickname (meaning martian) cos I wore green trainers and bright green vest to my first few lessons. However it seems to fit quite well - Mebe I've got a martian face too!
teimosia
teimosia

01.15.2003 12:04   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Daystar": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Hey, a guestion for one of the people out there who speak Brazilian Portuguese. My nickname is Cascinha, it was given to me by mestre Cascavel, but I have no idea why he gave it to me. Any thoughts? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Probably the word is "casquinha". It has a lot of meanings... Literally, it means "little rind". But may also refer to any kind of "little crust": from bread crust to wound crust (yuck). "Casquinha" may still mean a kind of icecream, and also "to take some advantage from any situation". In this case, the expression used is "tirar casquinha". Axé Teimosia
Dende360
Dende360

01.15.2003 12:21   Quote
Teimosa (there is a girl named Teimosa in my group also) What do you think is meant by the name Dende?
Dende360
Dende360

01.15.2003 12:28   Quote
Sorry for Teimosia...for spelling your name wrong
teimosia
teimosia

01.15.2003 12:30   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Dende360": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Teimosa (there is a girl named Teimosa in my group also) What do you think is meant by the name Dende? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Not "Teimosa" (which is an adjective), but "Teimosia" (which is a noun) ;-) "Dendê", as you've already said, is a small coconut (also called "mironga") from which people extract a dark oil. Dendê oil is used as a spice in bahian food (use with moderation, or wait for the consequences :-), but also used to keep atabaque and pandeiro peels soft. Also, in capoeira, a person who has "dendê" is said to be full of mandinga, slippery in the roda, hard to catch... So, it may refer to your skin as much as to your way of playing... Axé Teimosia
Daystar
Daystar

01.15.2003 13:06   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "teimosia": Can't it mean little snake or something like that? That's what someone from my grupo thought it meant, although she could be wrong...
teimosia
teimosia

01.16.2003 04:19   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Daystar": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Can't it mean little snake or something like that? That's what someone from my grupo thought it meant, although she could be wrong... - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - As far as I know, the meaning "little snake" for "casquinha" doesn't exist. But again, remember there are hundreds of "dialects" in Brazil... Word meanings use to vary a lot from region to region... Axé Teimosia
onechop
onechop

01.16.2003 10:39   Quote
REPLY TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "Dende360": I'm not sure how she got her name Pet. I do know she used to wear anckle length leather coats. Looks like an oil slick to me. I'm not over sure if thats why she got the name. To be honest she doesn;t train very reguarly so it might not suit her that well. I don't know... As for my name! I'd hear about the white suger cane guard angle. I'm still sure though that I'm the shite bit of the sugar cane. He even wrote it down for me so I could spell it. I'll ask him Cheers Paul 'Jagunco'
compay
compay

01.23.2003 05:00   Quote
My nick name is Bacalhau, my teacher said something about his fried who's name is also Bacalhau, and plays berimbau very well.. though in not so sure how being a Cod has anything to do with playing berimbau,(I do play pretty well considering that i haven't played capoeira too long), maybe it's becouse when im in a jogo, i'm like like a fish in water.. hehe ;)
GraveAngel
GraveAngel

01.23.2003 06:53   Quote
The truth is I really can't relate to the topic. We're still waiting for a mestre here at the Philippines. I do get lot of ideas of how our names would be like. I hope mine does'nt suck big time. I play like a clown in the quasi-rodas that we do and most of us are still uneasy in the middle. With nicks or without one it does'nt make Capoeira less of what it really is.
LittleFlower
LittleFlower

01.23.2003 09:35   Quote
My nickname is Florzinha. I got it after practicing Capoeira for almost two years, from mestre Maclau. I really like the name, but I don't know why I got it. In my group we have some people with nicknames that are really cool; Blade (he got it when he was in a show where he olayed the guy from Blade, and also because he looks like him), Milho (means corn on the cob, but I don't know why he got it. I just think it's hillarious!)
CapoeiraKrzy2
CapoeiraKrzy2

01.23.2003 10:15   Quote
Hey, my nickname is Batatinha and i got that after playing capoeira for like 3 1/2 months. I got it from both of my instructors one of which only came for the summer. In portuguese it litterally means "Little Potatoe", they say it doesnt mean i fight like that it means i fight like a girl they used to know and that was a form of her name. i think nicknames really do stick to you after a while. I love my nicknames and some of you stories are very fun. Peace ~!**Batatinha**!~
Espantalho1
Espantalho1

01.23.2003 18:12   Quote
My nick name is Espantalho. It means scarecrow. I got it because of how I moved my arms when I was first learning to ginga and I'm skinny like a scarecrow. I kind of like the name though. It's grown on me. Okay, story time... I think I posted this story on another thread, but it's funny to me and it apply's here. At our last batizado, all the high level capoeiristas were thinking of nicknames for the people who didn't have a nickname yet. After they named a few people, someone said that they should write down the names so that they don't forget. In portuguese, one of the guys asked "where's paper". The next guy in line to get named (who doesn't speak any portuguese), stepped forward. Everyone pointed at him and said papel. The name stuck, so we now have someone in our group named paper.
compay
compay

01.24.2003 01:23   Quote
thats nice Espantalho... ;) that story made me think about our last batizado, where a guy got named Piru,(im not sure of spelling or of the meaning), it's funny couse in Finnish, Piru means the devil..
Pacquita
Pacquita

01.24.2003 03:47   Quote
My name is Paquita...I got it from the head mestre who had just arrived from Brazile. I was not able to come to the Friday lesson and showed up for the party afterwards. I was dancing with my mestre when Mago called over "chegua mas Paquita!" and all the Brazilians in the crowd just LOVED it. I was furious because I didn't want my name to be "cute blonde girl who dances and sings for little kids on TV" because it sounded less than fearsome! I mean...Cobra...or Paquita?!?!!? In the end it grew on me and now my boyfriend gets a kick out of calling me "meu querida paquita"...I guess it will do. um beijo grande a todo um mondo axé Paquita
teimosia
teimosia

01.24.2003 04:32   Quote
ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED BY "compay": - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - thats nice Espantalho... ;) that story made me think about our last batizado, where a guy got named Piru,(im not sure of spelling or of the meaning), it's funny couse in Finnish, Piru means the devil.. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Well, "peru" means "turkey", like those ones we eat in xmas. But also "Peru" is the country, land of inca people and a slang for "dick" (a synonym to "bimba" :-) Axé Teimosia
BobCapoeira
BobCapoeira

01.24.2003 16:08   Quote
First and foremost is Papagaio, the parrot, due to my at one time bright green hair ^_^. Others are (I don't know the spelling in Portuguse, but I know the translation): Parakeet, due to people misunderstanding me and/or the mestre. Woodpecker, from another guest/subbing mestre, I think because of several spastic martellos deliverd to the little kickie-targetie thingie we were using one class... Chicken, from a guest mestre/subbing... I don't know why... maybe because I almost died of a heart attack when he had his foot an inch away from my face when I turned around. And it was right after class, so it's not like I was expecting it.
Ma Junior
Ma Junior

05.15.2006 22:35   Quote
My first batizado is this May 21st. Today while after practicing the maculele my mestre and his mestre (visiting from Brazil) decided on my nickname. I ended up with Lampiao. They told me he was like the Brazilian robin hood. So I did a lil bit of research when I got home. He was more of a bandit/outlaw than a typical hero. I looked at some pictures and I honestly don't feel that we even look alike. So why is this my nickname. Does anyone else have a nickname that they don't feel belongs to them?
Brazen
Brazen

05.15.2006 22:50   Quote
You should be proud of that name, Lampiao was quite the folk anti-hero.But if you really don't like it you can say no.You can say you don't feel the name suits you and ask your Mestre is it alright if it is changed.If he says no, than there is a GOOD reason why you have to keep that name.
besouro_branco
besouro_branco

05.15.2006 23:59   Quote
i agree with Brazen. you should be proud of your name. i've never actually heard of anyone refusing a nickname given by any of the teachers at our school. i was given my nickname at around my second week of training and i think that when it comes down to it, my instrutor just called me 'besouro' cos he couldnt remember my real name at the time. and because my sister and one of my cousins are also named after bugs. but the name still very important to me of course! i say stick with the name lampiao! it'll grow on you, or you'll grow into it.

axe!
besouro
ruronikenshin
ruronikenshin

05.16.2006 07:53   Quote
[quote=Ma Junior]My first batizado is this May 21st. Today while after practicing the maculele my mestre and his mestre (visiting from Brazil) decided on my nickname. I ended up with Lampiao. They told me he was like the Brazilian robin hood. So I did a lil bit of research when I got home. He was more of a bandit/outlaw than a typical hero. I looked at some pictures and I honestly don't feel that we even look alike. So why is this my nickname. Does anyone else have a nickname that they don't feel belongs to them?[/quote]

robin hood was a bandit, he robbed people.....
also, look at your game...how you play in the roda, are you very tricky? untrustworthy in the roda? (not in a bad way, just meaning heavy with malicia), that could be a reason, and a definate compliment!
russpowell
russpowell

05.16.2006 10:41   Quote
my name is tampinha because i am short. We have another guy who's name is pai(father) and another vovo(grandpa). you should be happy with the name you get.
Lampiao
Lampiao

05.16.2006 11:29   Quote
Dude, if you stick with that nickcame you gonna be in real real trouble, because there must be only one lampião in the capoeira world it means I will have to destroy you.

Beware,

Lampião - the real one
Kazman
Kazman

05.16.2006 11:38   Quote
haha. I am palhaço - clown - but I am very proud of my name. I agree with everyone else, stick with your name. Your mestre gave that name to you for a reason and it's up to you to interpret it how you want.
Kaxasa
Kaxasa

05.16.2006 11:46   Quote
I got my nickname (cachaca) because i like a drink or nine every once in a while. I tell people its because im smooth at the beggining but i hit you when you least expect it though.....haha
You got an awesome name though...i wouldnt worry bout it. be proud, wear it like a badge of honor.

cachaca
Ma Junior
Ma Junior

05.16.2006 15:38   Quote
[quote=Lampiao]Dude, if you stick with that nickcame you gonna be in real real trouble, because there must be only one lampião in the capoeira world it means I will have to destroy you.

Beware,

Lampião - the real one[/quote]

hahaha. ok we'll have to compromise. One Lampiao per continent. BTW how do you make the curve above the a?
tucano
tucano

05.17.2006 08:23   Quote
Maybe you look like this:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.blasderobles.com/Varia/Kircher/images/lampiao.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.blasderobles.com/Varia/Kircher/Atoz.htm&h=375&w=290&sz=126&tbnid=yJ12PHZRJL_vTM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=91&hl=en&start=8&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLampiao%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

or after you Lampiaos decided who is the real one, like this:)))?
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.guiapernambuco.com.br/persona/lampiao_morte.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.guiapernambuco.com.br/persona/lampiao.shtml&h=195&w=255&sz=24&tbnid=UNvnisy9YX0ZkM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=106&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLampiao%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D
Acid Burn
Acid Burn

05.17.2006 10:18   Quote
[quote=Ma Junior]

hahaha. ok we'll have to compromise. One Lampiao per continent. BTW how do you make the curve above the a?
[/quote]

You do know US and Brazil are in the same continent do you??????

Be happy with whatever nickname your mestre gives you. I was given the nickname of Chata, which means ANNOYING hahahahaahah and I'm HELLA proud of it.
almaboa
almaboa

05.17.2006 14:01   Quote
Um not they're not. There's both NORTH and SOUTH America(s). Brazil is in one, the U.S. is in the other.
Lots of people go through different nicknames until they find the one that's "right" for them. If it wasn't meant for you, it won't stick. If it is, it will. But its' something that just sort of happens- don't fight it- I think that's a great name.
onechop
onechop

05.21.2006 04:32   Quote
Well there's a Lampiao over here in Englad, not that he trains anymore. He was given it cos he looks evil, evile looks eye brows that nearly meet in the middle and all that.

He's a nice guy though.

Tell me do you look mean?
Acid Burn
Acid Burn

05.22.2006 09:50   Quote
[quote=almaboa]Um not they're not. There's both NORTH and SOUTH America(s). Brazil is in one, the U.S. is in the other. [/quote]

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA You're from US right? Let me explain something to you. Even if you don't believe it, or even if you were made NOT to believe it... THERE'S ONLY ONE AMERICAN [b] CONTINENT[/b]!!!!!! lol

Let's review some of our geography conecpts shall we?

world's continents:
* American
* European
* Asian
* African
* Oceania

!amazed
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon May 22 2006, 10:52 ]</span>
quem
quem

05.22.2006 10:05   Quote
Huh on this side of the pond we learn seven continents, including Antarctica. Funny how you learn a distinction between Europe and Asia but not the Americas.

I guess knowledge isn't absolute after all...

On topic, i also hate my nickname and basically refuse to let it stick.
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon May 22 2006, 11:12 ]</span>
Acid Burn
Acid Burn

05.22.2006 11:25   Quote
ok, say that we count Antartic and Artic as continents... that gives you 7 (if you sum them up with the 5 I listed) then howcome you STILL try to separate north from south and central america?? hehehe

anyway... why don't you like your nickname?
Lawrencao
Lawrencao

05.22.2006 12:09   Quote
I guess because our toliets flush counter clockwise up here and down south of the equator they flush clockwise. :! That alone is grounds for seperation.
meninao
meninao

05.22.2006 13:56   Quote
[quote=Acid Burn]ok, say that we count Antartic and Artic as continents... that gives you 7 (if you sum them up with the 5 I listed) then howcome you STILL try to separate north from south and central america?? hehehe

anyway... why don't you like your nickname?[/quote]

Because the Artic isn´t a land mass it´s just a block of ice (for now at least go global warming!) the antartic is actual land under snow and ice. It´s just differences of opinion as two which are one and which are seperate so you´re no more correct than us. Although the Americas are on seperate tectonic plates so they can drift away from each other (hell thats why we dug that damn canal so we could say so long S. America!). Whereas Europe and Asia are on the same and will remain one giant landmass so that seems a better argument for them being one than the Americas, no?
Pollo
Pollo

05.22.2006 18:07   Quote
This went from apellidos to a geography lesson...

I was given a cordao on my first batizado but not a nickname.......

mooooooooooo moooooooooooooooooo
ruronikenshin
ruronikenshin

05.23.2006 09:34   Quote
two years practicing and i still don't have a nickname, even after attending both bautizados that our group has had since i started practicing. it's weird too, because one thing argentines are known for, is giving nicknames to people, yet i have no "argentine" nickname, nor capoeira one. it used to bother me, when i found out about capoeira nicknames. one night over beers, i asked my profe why i didn't have one yet. he asked me what i knew about them...i told him the story i had read about capoeiristas of old having to use nicknames so that the authorities wouldn't know exactly who practiced...he asked me..."are you being followed or investigated by the police?" i said..."ummm..no..." he said..."well i wouldn't worry too much about a nickname then...it'll come when it comes.."

i haven't asked about it since! hahahhaahahaa
ruronikenshin
ruronikenshin

05.23.2006 09:37   Quote
[quote=Acid Burn]ok, say that we count Antartic and Artic as continents... that gives you 7 (if you sum them up with the 5 I listed) then howcome you STILL try to separate north from south and central america?? hehehe

anyway... why don't you like your nickname?[/quote]

CHATAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome back!!!! ;)
quem
quem

05.23.2006 09:52   Quote
Yeah it took until last fall for me to get mine. That's also part of why some names don't stick... i have a hard time calling people by their nicknames if i've known 'em by their real name for a while.
i've noticed sometimes people who get theirs right away will go through a few different ones... sometimes it seems like nicknames are for the sake of the nickname. so in that case it's good to wait!
spacey
spacey

05.23.2006 10:53   Quote
[quote=ruronikenshin]he asked me..."are you being followed or investigated by the police?" i said..."ummm..no..." he said..."well i wouldn't worry too much about a nickname then...it'll come when it comes.."

i haven't asked about it since! hahahhaahahaa[/quote]

So almost by definition, anyone who's made a phone call in, to, or from the USA in the past 4.5 years or so needs a nickname, fast?

Hmmm....

-Peter
ruronikenshin
ruronikenshin

05.23.2006 11:28   Quote
[quote=spacey][quote=ruronikenshin]he asked me..."are you being followed or investigated by the police?" i said..."ummm..no..." he said..."well i wouldn't worry too much about a nickname then...it'll come when it comes.."

i haven't asked about it since! hahahhaahahaa[/quote]

So almost by definition, anyone who's made a phone call in, to, or from the USA in the past 4.5 years or so needs a nickname, fast?

Hmmm....

-Peter
[/quote]

hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahaaaaa!!!!!!! mmm... ok... well..in that case...just call me "chubster" hahahaaa :p
almaboa
almaboa

05.23.2006 11:40   Quote
The angola group I trained with didn't have nicknames or batizados, and they thought it was completely bizarre when I told them about it. I've also heard Mestre Moraes make statements against both things, saying that they were basically bastardizations of things taken from the Europeans, and capoeira didn't need anything from European culture. (I'm paraphrasing, it was a long time ago, but that was the gist as I remember it).
My old group gave names at batizados, my new one does whenever one seems to fit and doesn't really have a problem switching up for a more fitting name.
I know some people who fit their nickname so well they generally don't go by anything else... if they were trying to go incognito they'd be better off with their legal names...
Manhoso113
Manhoso113

05.23.2006 12:04   Quote
[quote=almaboa]
I know some people who fit their nickname so well they generally don't go by anything else... if they were trying to go incognito they'd be better off with their legal names...[/quote]

funny.
ShadowCat17
ShadowCat17

05.23.2006 14:09   Quote
In 4.5 years of capoeira, I've had four nicknames. None have stuck.

::shrug::
tolo
tolo

05.23.2006 14:34   Quote
[quote=almaboa]The angola group I trained with didn't have nicknames or batizados, and they thought it was completely bizarre when I told them about it. I've also heard Mestre Moraes make statements against both things, saying that they were basically bastardizations of things taken from the Europeans, and capoeira didn't need anything from European culture. (I'm paraphrasing, it was a long time ago, but that was the gist as I remember it).
My old group gave names at batizados, my new one does whenever one seems to fit and doesn't really have a problem switching up for a more fitting name.
I know some people who fit their nickname so well they generally don't go by anything else... if they were trying to go incognito they'd be better off with their legal names...[/quote]

Thank the gods the conversation has gone here, as I have been struggling with this question since I first found capoeira Angola...

Why is it that capoeira Angola does NOT have nicknames? Nicknames in some sense are actualy a "nom de guerre", and while quite popular in Contemporary and Reigonal , there seems to be some resistance to this in the major schools of capoeira Angola. Interestingly there is a HUGE oral tradition supporting the nome de guerre in capoeira, and certinly plenty of examples there of that pre-date the formulation of Bimba's capoeira Reigonal.

I respect what I have read of Mestre Moraes thoughts from an interview or two, but how does he draw the conclusion that the nicknames in capoeira are European influenced?

I fully understand why the nome de guerres were so important during the period when capoeira became an urbanized (criminal?) pursuit in Brasil (where simply practicing capoeira could have you banished). This certinly doesn't seem to be a manufacture of European invention.

Are there any Bantu/Afrikan examples of the nome de Guerre?

Some Angoleiro mestre's have nicknames, why is this not more popular, or even embraced as part of the tradition (Besouro Preto, etc.)?

Still wondering...

BTW, IMHO batizados are nonesense.

TOLO
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue May 23 2006, 20:06 ]</span>
ShadowCat17
ShadowCat17

05.24.2006 06:19   Quote
[quote=tolo]
Why is it that capoeira Angola does NOT have nicknames? Nicknames in some sense are actualy a "nom de guerre", and while quite popular in Contemporary and Reigonal , there seems to be some resistance to this in the major schools of capoeira Angola.
[/quote]

Capoeira angola has nicknames. Not everyone in my group (Mestre JP line) has one, but some people do. From what I've seen, nicknames in capoeira angola tend to come about more "naturally" than the way some regional groups do nicknames (i.e. handing them out like candy at the batizado, just because that's what you're 'supposed' to do).

Like a regular nickname, the mestre doesn't sit around and ponder, "what should I name so-and-so person?" - instead it just comes naturally. I know that some people in regional get their nicknames in this way too.

For example, one guy in my group's apelido is "Anastácio." Why? Because he came from a town called Santo Anastácio, and his old instructor could never remember the guy's real name, so he would always call him Anastácio after his town. And then it stuck. Another guy is called Marcelinho, which is just the diminuitive of his name, which is Marcelo.

Like you said, the famous capoeiristas of the past got their nicknames in this way... no one really "gave" them the apelido, they just started to get known by them. So, capoeira angola seems to follow this tradition.
angelcapoeira
angelcapoeira

05.24.2006 08:25   Quote
[quote=ShadowCat17]In 4.5 years of capoeira, I've had four nicknames. None have stuck.

::shrug::[/quote]

You will always be Raposa to me... ;)
spacey
spacey

05.24.2006 13:40   Quote
[quote=tolo]
Why is it that capoeira Angola does NOT have nicknames? Nicknames in some sense are actualy a "nom de guerre", and while quite popular in Contemporary and Reigonal , there seems to be some resistance to this in the major schools of capoeira Angola. Interestingly there is a HUGE oral tradition supporting the nome de guerre in capoeira, and certinly plenty of examples there of that pre-date the formulation of Bimba's capoeira Reigonal.

[/quote]

Brazilians are quite free with nicknames in general. Some things are from stereotypes, some because it happens, you know, naturally. It's like how in the UK, it's predetermined that you'l be calling that 6'6" (2_meter tall) gorilla of a bouncer at your nearby club "tiny" because everyone calls him that. It just happens.

[quote=tolo]
I respect what I have read of Mestre Moraes thoughts from an interview or two, but how does he draw the conclusion that the nicknames in capoeira are European influenced?
[/quote]

You probably need to ask him that, since it's from a rather vague recollection (perhaps by a non-native speaker, as well, which can confuse details, believe me).

[quote=tolo]
I fully understand why the nome de guerres were so important during the period when capoeira became an urbanized (criminal?) pursuit in Brasil (where simply practicing capoeira could have you banished). This certinly doesn't seem to be a manufacture of European invention.

[/quote]

There are all sorts of appelidos. I played a guy whose name came from rastifarian lore, and others whose names come from other places, including their name, where they're from, where they *look* like they're from, etc.

[quote=tolo]
Some Angoleiro mestre's have nicknames, why is this not more popular, or even embraced as part of the tradition (Besouro Preto, etc.)?
[/quote]

Because everyone called them that. João Grande used to be Gavião, João Pequeno used to be Cobra Mansa, but everyone called them by the names we know now. It stuck, and that's who they are, not just their capoeira name.

-Peter
[edited to fix the quoting]
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu May 25 2006, 10:35 ]</span>
almaboa
almaboa

05.25.2006 00:31   Quote
I'd agree with Peter- you would have to look up what he's said to get an exact answer, but as I remember it- Moraes wasn't really looking at it from the nome de guerre point of view. It was sort of the whole tradition of being baptized and getting a new name, the way Christians in some denominations get baptized and have a "christian" name that he was criticizing. So maybe he only has issues with baptisim names... I don't know. If anyone could find more research on it I'd be curious- thinking back the mestre of the angola group I was with that thought I was bonkers for talking about apellidos and batizados actually had a nickname himself... *scratches head*
spacey
spacey

05.25.2006 09:39   Quote
Almaboa,

Ah, the *batizado* itself. Yeah... the batizado is a baptism, right? So it's by definition a church/european/white thing?

Anyway, see my other post about nicknames for my opinion about the names. If you don't hav something that marks you right away, then you wait until someone has a name for you. It's not a ceremonial requirement usually, afaik.

-Peter
tolo
tolo

05.25.2006 10:45   Quote
[quote=spacey][quote=tolo]

[/quote]

Brazilians are quite free with nicknames in general. Some things are from stereotypes, some because it happens, you know, naturally. It's like how in the UK, it's predetermined that you'l be calling that 6'6" (2_meter tall) gorilla of a bouncer at your nearby club "tiny" because everyone calls him that. It just happens.

[quote=tolo]
[/quote]

You probably need to ask him that, since it's from a rather vague recollection (perhaps by a non-native speaker, as well, which can confuse details, believe me).

[quote=tolo]

[/quote]

There are all sorts of appelidos. I played a guy whose name came from rastifarian lore, and others whose names come from other places, including their name, where they're from, where they *look* like they're from, etc.

[quote=tolo]
[/quote]

Because everyone called them that. João Grande used to be Gavião, João Pequeno used to be Cobra Mansa, but everyone called them by the names we know now. It stuck, and that's who they are, not just their capoeira name.

-Peter
[/quote]

Joao Grande was called "Cobra Mansa"?!?!?!?! I'm not even sure what the implications of that are. Does that relate to how Mestre Cobra Mansa has his name today?

I know Mestre Pastinha had the two Joao's training with him so one got the "Grande" name and the smaller of the two got the "Pequeno" name (not that either were terribly diminuative people). I'm guessing this was done more for conveinience than anything else, to differentiate between them. Historicaly perhaps the nickname thing was more of a neccessity during the period when Capoeira was illegal (as protection against prosecution, as part of an underground societial movement), I guess the usage has become casual, more like the way anyone might come by a nickname outside of capoeira.

Again I say cordas and batizados are garf, and agree that they are European influenced conventions, IMHO. :)

TOLO (who was given the name "Suado", and then had it changed to "Quebra-regra" following the only batizado I ever participated in while training Contemporary Capoeira)
spacey
spacey

05.25.2006 11:51   Quote
[quote=tolo][quote=spacey]

-Peter
[/quote]

Joao Grande was called "Cobra Mansa"?!?!?!?! I'm not even sure what the implications of that are. Does that relate to how Mestre Cobra Mansa has his name today?

I know Mestre Pastinha had the two Joao's training with him so one got the "Grande" name and the smaller of the two got the "Pequeno" name (not that either were terribly diminuative people). I'm guessing this was done more for conveinience than anything else, to differentiate between them. Historicaly perhaps the nickname thing was more of a neccessity during the period when Capoeira was illegal (as protection against prosecution, as part of an underground societial movement), I guess the usage has become casual, more like the way anyone might come by a nickname outside of capoeira.

Again I say cordas and batizados are garf, and agree that they are European influenced conventions, IMHO. :)

TOLO (who was given the name "Suado", and then had it changed to "Quebra-regra" following the only batizado I ever participated in while training Contemporary Capoeira)[/quote]

Almost, you've got it backwards. JP was Cobra Mansa. As for Cobrinha, you'd have to ask whoever gave him the nickname about the whys and wherefores, either M. Dunga or M. Moraes, I'd guess. It's probably just that when you look at his game, there's a great snake-like quality to it.

-Peter
nenn
nenn

05.26.2006 10:18   Quote
ill throw in my two cents (not that its worth much ;p)

my nickname is "Fradinho" which is a white bean with spots, i have light skin and tons of freckles, so it works for me and i enjoy it. i agree that nicknames seem to be given out like candy to everyone but it gives a sense of belonging i think. as do batizados. granted they are a little gaudy at times but they're fun, its a party really, a big party where the older generation of capoeiraistas knock you down and beat ya up a bit, a "welcome to the club" sort of thing. they are significant in a beginners life, at least it was to me, in exposing them to more people and different experiences, other than training for years in the same place with the same people.

it serves as something to work towards and look forward to seeing familar faces.
ninjaqueen
ninjaqueen

05.28.2006 19:54   Quote
[quote=spacey]Almaboa,

Ah, the *batizado* itself. Yeah... the batizado is a baptism, right? So it's by definition a church/european/white thing?

Anyway, see my other post about nicknames for my opinion about the names. If you don't hav something that marks you right away, then you wait until someone has a name for you. It's not a ceremonial requirement usually, afaik.

-Peter[/quote]

The Ritual of Baptism, does not solely represent that of christianity, but is in fact a part of many various religions including Sikhism,acient Egyptian religions,Japanese and Mayan cultures. The word baptize may have derived from the greek and is very popular with christianity, however the word itself is not as important as the ritual itself. People may use different words to describe the same thing, i.e an initiation into a group, society,religion,club, etc.(A right of passage). I'm sure many cultures around the world (including African) have some sort ritual in which initiation of some sort takes place.
So by extension, I don't agree that 'baptism' or batizado is a christian/church/white thing at all.

axe

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sun May 28 2006, 20:59 ]</span>
gaze13
gaze13

06.01.2006 15:54   Quote
My two cents... Portuguese is is the language of Brazil. So those who refuse to accept a European influence in capoeira need to learn to sing in a Yoruba dialect. Capoeira is not purely African.

Batizados are an important part of the contemporary capoeira tradition. The ceremony reflects the different attitue and approach to capoeira as a systemized training method and helps newer students bond and feel accepted into their groups. I don't think they're ridiculous at all. With all of the ritual and tradition of capoeira Angola, how can one scoff at the rituals of a different style?

Ranking students in contemporary capoeira also reflects the training style and method. When any art is taught in a systemized manner, a ranking system, no matter how rudimentary, is formed. It's human nature. Granted, I have some qualms with how it is done in capoeira, but it can be an important tool in the development of a contemporary capoeirista, even if it's only an acknowedgement... by the way, I haven't heard of any capoeira Angola groups that don't rank their students from their instructors either. Might not be with cordas, but it's there. Treinels, contra mestres, etc...

And the nicknames. Well, I've heard a million different things and I know each group does it differently. In our group, the nickname is given after a few years, when the player is able to handle and express himself in the roda comfortably. Then, after some research and deliberation, the instructors and senior students decide what the best name is for the person, based on how he plays in the roda, and how he behaves outside of it. My name means "ferret, weasel, or mongoose." I didn't quite like it or understand it when I first got it, but it has really grown on me and I feel it fits my character perfectly. I'm also glad they kept to our other tradition of using only animals as names (since animals can share the character and qualities of the capoeirista.) Or else my name would have been Fantasma. And I don't need any "Casper the Friendly Ghost" cracks. Damn my inability to tan...

To each their own...

Doninha

cafezinho
cafezinho

06.01.2006 19:11   Quote
Nicknames were associated with the malandros, sambistas, tough guys from the favelas. People without birth certificates and social security cards to say, "this is your name", or even necessarily a stable family life. Your family was your neighborhood and that's where you got your name, hence the association with crime and evading law. Same everywhere, really.

The angolan viewpoint would be, some priviledged american or european kid goes to his first batizado and gets his nickname kind of waters down the tradition, makes a joke out of it, like ninja birthday parties.
cafezinho
cafezinho

06.01.2006 19:17   Quote
[url]http://www.agogo.nl/archive2/agogo21/cobra/cobra.htm[/url]
[quote]From student to mestre
“My name in capoeira is “Cobra Mansa”. I’ve always been very skinny, agile and fast. Later, when learning capoeira angola, I developed a light ginga. People started saying ‘hey man, you are a real “smooth snake”, you astonished and bit!’. So that became my capoeira name. But then I arrived in Salvador where Mestre João Pequeno already had the same nickname. So he called me Cobrinha, and nowadays people call me Cobra Mansa, Cobrinha or Cobrinha Mansa.”[/quote]
Flyriq
Flyriq

06.02.2006 00:02   Quote
My first batizado was like in late march... the name I was givin was cha chuco. it meens cutie pie...just be grateful.
cafezinho
cafezinho

06.02.2006 00:54   Quote
Two guys in my contemporânea class were baptized as Pinocchio and Devagão.
almaboa
almaboa

06.02.2006 08:31   Quote
I vaguely remember some people visiting once whose names translated to hair and lice- they were a couple and always in each other's hair, I guess...
so yeah, don't complain...
spidy
spidy

06.02.2006 12:32   Quote
In a conversation with Mertre Moraes a few years ago, he said he opposed batizados and nicknames given there based on the history of slavers attempting to wash away the african captives' history, humanity and culture by baptizing them in a euro-centric style christianity and giving them a "christian" name. If you don't unfrstand that, read or watch "Roots" by Alex Haley and digest Kunta Kente's resistajnce to his "christian" name "Toby."

Africans in the Americas have a long tradition of nicknames (i've had at least a dozen over the years with different sets of family and friends. Each name represented a notable physical or personality trait. None of them had anything to do with criminality or capoeira. If my Mestre gives me a nickname, it may be an honored addition to, but will probably not replace, names i've beeo using for years.

BTW, Mestre Moraes will be back in L.A. for the Capoeira Angola Conference in Oct '06 (columbus day wkend).
cafezinho
cafezinho

06.02.2006 12:46   Quote
That's interesting that Moraes would reject the baptismal aspect of it, but at the same time still want to sing songs about european saints, ladainhas and make the sign of the cross at the pé de berimbau, especially since it isn't in a particularly syncretic context.
spidy
spidy

06.02.2006 18:58   Quote
Does anyone really think that when Mestre Moraes is singing "Santa Barbara que relampue" he is singing about the christian Saint Barbara? Does anybody really think that when Mestre Joao Grande sings "bom Jesus" he is singing about Jesus Christ of Nazareth and nothing else?

And to suggest that making the sign of the cross is limited to christian ritual shows either total arrogance or extreme ingnorance. Anyone who knows anything about African spirituality in the americas should know that Africans used christianity to mask, not replace, their traditional spiritual systems. In fact, many christian are afraid of capoeira because they see it as voodoo or devil worship.
spidy
spidy

06.02.2006 19:06   Quote
. To suggest that singing a ladainha is a christian activity is to ignore that Africans have always started any ritual activity by paying respect to the creator and the ancestors. The ladainha is not based on the Roman Catholic litany but is a traditional African libation. The batizado is not an African tradition masked in a christian ritual, but a vestage of a white supremacist tradition based on the slavers attempts to crush the African's identity.
spidy
spidy

06.02.2006 19:07   Quote
. To suggest that singing a ladainha is a christian activity is to ignore that Africans have always started any ritual activity by paying respect to the creator and the ancestors. The ladainha is not based on the Roman Catholic litany but is a traditional African libation. The batizado is not an African tradition masked in a christian ritual, but a vestage of a white supremacist tradition based on the slavers attempts to crush the African's identity.
cafezinho
cafezinho

06.03.2006 13:22   Quote
Batizados are Catholic. Santa Barbara is a Catholic Saint. So is São Bento, Santo Anônio, then you have Adão and Salomé, etc., etc. You have to understand that there are degrees to which people ascribe to candomblé/xangô/mina and the other afro-brazilian religions, to catholicism, and to the syncretisation of the two. Infact, most ogans, ie people who believe in, are initiated into, and practice candomblé believe in both systems simultaneously. Many believe the orixás and the saints to be two sides of the same coin, some believe them to be entirely seperate. Infact, those in the Black Power movement in Bahia would often be instulted if you talked about Yemonjá in terms of Santa Barbara, or O Senhor do Bonfim with Oxalá. Those racist baptisms and the veneration of Catholic saints are the same thing.

Rather than be a libation, the ladainha is probably much more closely related to the repentista tradition of improvised, sung poetry and the literatura de cordel.

[Quote]And to suggest that making the sign of the cross is limited to christian ritual shows either total arrogance or extreme ingnorance. Anyone who knows anything about African spirituality in the americas should know that Africans used christianity to mask, not replace, their traditional spiritual systems. In fact, many christian are afraid of capoeira because they see it as voodoo or devil worship.[/Quote]

Slow down there, Spidy. The sign of the cross is to ask for protection from God. I can guarantee you that though they were afro-brazilians and very likely venerators of the orixas, they were also CATHOLIC. No christians are afraid of capoeira because they think it has anything to do with Haitian Voudoon. That's just silly. The dislike of capoeira was due to its persecution by the authorities and its association to the bottom classes and criminality. Let's not start talking about my extreme ignorance just yet, mm kay?
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sat Jun 03 2006, 14:23 ]</span>
ShadowCat17
ShadowCat17

06.03.2006 14:00   Quote
[quote=cafezinho]No christians are afraid of capoeira because they think it has anything to do with Haitian Voudoon. [/quote]

Gotta disagree with you here, cafezinho. I have seen some evangelical churches in Brazil call for Christians not to play capoeira because of its supposed roots in candomblé. I personally know two excellent capoeiristas who stopped practicing the art after becoming evangelical.
corvoLK
corvoLK

06.03.2006 16:21   Quote
[quote=spidy]In a conversation with Mertre Moraes a few years ago, he said he opposed batizados and nicknames given there based on the history of slavers attempting to wash away the african captives' history, humanity and culture by baptizing them in a euro-centric style christianity and giving them a "christian" name. If you don't unfrstand that, read or watch "Roots" by Alex Haley and digest Kunta Kente's resistajnce to his "christian" name "Toby."

Africans in the Americas have a long tradition of nicknames

(i've had at least a dozen over the years with different sets of family and friends. Each name represented a notable physical or personality trait. None of them had anything to do with criminality or capoeira. If my Mestre gives me a nickname, it may be an honored addition to, but will probably not replace, names i've beeo using for years.

BTW, Mestre Moraes will be back in L.A. for the Capoeira Angola Conference in Oct '06 (columbus day wkend).[/quote]

I like that Mestre Moraes stands opposted to Eurocentric notions. i.e. Batizados, they are such a fauls money Eurocentric event, It makes me puck!

If you don't like my comments, get a life! Your problem!
cafezinho
cafezinho

06.03.2006 17:10   Quote
Evangelicalism is a special case, and doesn't reflect major historical trends. Also the batizado has no religious significance or intent being that it is a gathering, ranking, and testing scenario that falls more in line with Japanese influence through the introduction of Judo in Brazil. Religious elements, both european and african, are much, much stonger in the angola roda, but is more symbolism, ritual, tradition and is left to the individual as to how much significance it has. Essentially, it's a part of the game, the dance, and the music. Let's not take this all so seriously. You can dislike the Batizado, but lets not be hypocrites.
corvoLK
corvoLK

06.03.2006 18:07   Quote
[color=violet][i]"You can dislike the Batizado, but lets not be hypocrites".[/i][/color]

[color=darkblue][b]Thank you for your permittion to not having to like Batizados. So what is being a hypocrite about not liking the Batizado scenario? Perhaps you can enlighten me! Oh wise one![/b][/color]
corvoLK
corvoLK

06.03.2006 18:24   Quote
[color=red][i]"The dislike of capoeira was due to its persecution by the authorities and its association to the bottom classes and criminality"[/i][/color]

[color=blue]This is a bit over simplistic, That fact that it came from the negros, and it hade a great many African religious undertones and that Capoeiristas oppossed the purtuguese dominance goals had nothing to do with it.[/color]

cafezinho
cafezinho

06.03.2006 19:14   Quote
Then enlighten me
spidy
spidy

06.03.2006 21:25   Quote
Cafezinho,

You seem to be missing or ignoring the point. The objection to the batizado and ?christening? someone with a nickname is not an attack on Catholicism, but a rejection of what is perceived to be a vestige of the mental repression practiced during slavery. You insist on presuming that Africans are incapable of praising and asking for protection from God outside of euro-centric Catholicism. And you should really go to the source before you declare that all Africans in Brasil are Catholic, no matter what their faith. Catholicism has been a mask for African spirituality's survival.

Please take into consideration that the State and the Catholic Church in Brasil tried its best to destroy indigenous spiritual beliefs. And if you have learned anything from the history and practice of Capoeira, it should be that prevailing over a stronger foe often lies in deceit and feigned submission. This is how African traditions such as Candomble and Capoeira have survived through the centuries.

When I spoke of ?voodoo? I was using the colloquial term, not specifically the spiritual system of Voudun of Haiti. Check out the Capoeira Angola Center of Netherlands website and read how when Totti Angola was growing up in Angola, people saw Capoeiristas as having supernatural powers. These are kinda like the stories about Besouro Preto, or are you now going to tell us that his legendary ability to close his body, turn into a beetle and fly and disappear are based on his belief in and practice of Catholicism.

I would love to see Mestre Moraes? reaction to your declaration of his Catholic beliefs and your suggestion that he is not acting within African tradition, but genuflecting like an Italian at the pe de berimbau.
cafezinho
cafezinho

06.03.2006 22:11   Quote
[quote=corvoLK]Thank you for your permittion to not having to like Batizados. So what is being a hypocrite about not liking the Batizado scenario? Perhaps you can enlighten me! Oh wise one![/quote]

Nothing. The hypocracy is saying that the Batizado is a european white supremacist influence on capopeira, and then not considering the fact that ever facet of Portuguese culture in capoeira, in samba and choro, candomble, etc. is attached to the very same argument. You can love the Batizado or hate it, but we can't just pick and choose.

[quote=corvoLK]"The dislike of capoeira was due to its persecution by the authorities and its association to the bottom classes and criminality"

This is a bit over simplistic, That fact that it came from the negros, and it hade a great many African religious undertones and that Capoeiristas oppossed the purtuguese dominance goals had nothing to do with it.
[/quote]

I'm not going to write a thesis to address the nuances of a complex psychology, but what I said has yet to be refuted.

[quote=spidy]Cafezinho,

You seem to be missing or ignoring the point. The objection to the batizado and ?christening? someone with a nickname is not an attack on Catholicism, but a rejection of what is perceived to be a vestige of the mental repression practiced during slavery. You insist on presuming that Africans are incapable of praising and asking for protection from God outside of euro-centric Catholicism. And you should really go to the source before you declare that all Africans in Brasil are Catholic, no matter what their faith. Catholicism has been a mask for African spirituality's survival.

Please take into consideration that the State and the Catholic Church in Brasil tried its best to destroy indigenous spiritual beliefs. And if you have learned anything from the history and practice of Capoeira, it should be that prevailing over a stronger foe often lies in deceit and feigned submission. This is how African traditions such as Candomble and Capoeira have survived through the centuries.

When I spoke of ?voodoo? I was using the colloquial term, not specifically the spiritual system of Voudun of Haiti. Check out the Capoeira Angola Center of Netherlands website and read how when Totti Angola was growing up in Angola, people saw Capoeiristas as having supernatural powers. These are kinda like the stories about Besouro Preto, or are you now going to tell us that his legendary ability to close his body, turn into a beetle and fly and disappear are based on his belief in and practice of Catholicism.

I would love to see Mestre Moraes? reaction to your declaration of his Catholic beliefs and your suggestion that he is not acting within African tradition, but genuflecting like an Italian at the pe de berimbau.[/quote]

Not one time did I insist that Africans could not praise the Orixas. What I am insisting is that the people who developed Capoeira often had a complex belief system inwhich Catholicism was and is worshiped together with the Ifa. The nicknames given at a Batizado have to do with the nicknames brazilian gave to eachother as friends, not as masters bestowed upon their slaves. That leap of logic that you are telling me Moraes made is a troublingly stupid one.

You made the implication that christians in Brazil saw capoeira is being from the Devil. not Angolans looking at a capoeirista and assuming him to have supernatural powers. That's not what you said.

Mestre Moraes brings his own beliefs to it. Had you read and processed what I wrote, you will remember me stating along the lines that a religious spectrum exists with Ifa at one end, Catholicism at the other, and the majority of people between the two. This is quite common throughout all of the South and Central America with various indigenous religions mixing with Catholicism. In your stance you assume because I state that catholicism has had a great impact on capoeira that I must obviously be completely dismissive of every african aspect of capoeira. Why would someone genuflect at the pe de berimbau if it was not a part of the culture that created capoeira? Capoeiristas developed the art as much away from the eyes and ears of the authorities as possible. The defence that they were just "hiding" beliefs is not a strong one. The truth is that they brought their mores, their life, and their culture into the roda. Part of that culture was a belief in catholicism.
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sat Jun 03 2006, 23:12 ]</span>
cafezinho
cafezinho

06.04.2006 00:24   Quote
The only difference between a regional batizado and an angola encontro is that in a batizado, you get your next corda through testing and maybe a nickname if you don`t have one already. A batizado may also have more merchandizing, which is another can of worms. So should encontros be banned because they are stupid and eurocentric?
-Just to play the devils advocate.
edited: encounters not limited to angola, and are inter-group.
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sun Jun 04 2006, 01:55 ]</span>
TANTRUMM
TANTRUMM

06.07.2006 03:26   Quote
Yo man your name is cool! Bandits are awesome if you have one on your side. You are probably considered quick and evasive in the roda, not to mention very tricky. Don't be ashamed of your name, Mestres usually gives you a name that represents your personality and to change your name you would have to change yourself. I got the name Guerrero Grande but I didn't think I was big and also they names they wanted to give me was taken. They started with Ninja because I had 6 year in Ninjitsu and I added that my style. Then they tried Lobo(wolf) because I'm fierce they said but that was taken also. So maybe the name they wanted to give you was taken. Don't take it too hard!
spidy
spidy

06.07.2006 04:02   Quote
Personally, I don't care if you go to batizados or encontros, genuflect or sign the four directions, as long as you recognize and respect the ancestors who gave us this gift of Capoeira. Before making blanket statements about syncretism and the role of the Catholic Church, it might make good sense to do a little research first.

Really though, other than the language, what exactly is the Portuguese contribution to Capoeira, samba and candomble or any other African or indigenous representation in Brasil? I would like to know. Little, if any i suspect,

The following is from Human Rights Without Frontiers:
"Once-banned religions gain public acceptance in Brazil by Michael Astor AP (29.12.2004) / HRWF (02.01.2005) - Website http://www.hrwf.net - Email: info@hrwf.net -- Beyond the storefront churches and sidewalk bars on Rio's gritty north side, where the asphalt ends and dirt roads begin, Brazil gives way to Africa. The sound of atabaques, or African drums, rises in the night air from a squat brick house, and a full-throated tenor sings incantations in the ancient Yoruba tongue of Nigeria.

Inside, children play quietly while women in swirling skirts dance in a circle, chanting to invoke the Orixas -- the gods worshipped by their African ancestors. This is Candomble, a religion once banned in Brazil, now emerging into public acceptance while overcoming fierce and even violent competition. Road to acceptance Brought to Brazil by African slaves, religions such as Candomble, Tambor de Mina, Batuque and Umbanda long had to be practiced in secret, its deities disguised as Catholic saints -- the sea goddess Iemanja, for instance, who became the Virgin Mary. But even after slavery was abolished in 1888, Candomble was still considered backward, if not blasphemous -- the province of the poor and dispossessed. Now Afro-Brazilian religions are flourishing across Brazil, even in the middle class. ''Candomble keeps growing because people are always looking for spiritual support. They are always going from church to church and back again. But when they get serious about Candomble it becomes a family affair,'' explains Mother Eliana, who runs one of the estimated 4,000 terreiros, or Candomble temples, around Rio. ''New terreiros keep opening up. It's impossible to keep track of them,'' said Ricardo Oliveira de Freitas, a researcher associated with the Superior Institute for Religious Studies, a Rio de Janeiro-based think tank. Their strongest opposition comes from Pentecostal churches, which are also growing fast in predominantly Catholic Brazil.

Since the 1980s, Pentecostals have attacked terreiros, throwing rocks and holding protests outside their doors. Preachers routinely rail against them, especially their ritual sacrifice of barnyard animals, calling it the devil's work. Some believe the Pentecostals' attacks have strengthened Candomble. Legal victories In 2002, Candomble followers won two lawsuits for defamation against the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God, which published photos of them in its newspaper saying they were possessed. ''With the lawsuits, Candomble followers began to discover they have rights guaranteed under the constitution. This was a very powerful message for people who for years had to disguise their religion,'' said José Marmo da Silva of the group Ato Ire, which works to distribute health information in the terreiros.

Anthropologist Raul Lody, author of books on Candomble, says the Pentecostals have changed tack: ``Instead of attacking Candomble, some churches are incorporating some cult elements into their services -- not the complex rituals, but elements that will be familiar to those who grow up in the religion.'' Freitas says Candomble centers have a social appeal that many churches lack. ''At terreiros people eat, flirt and court. It's a religion that celebrates life,'' he explains. They have no problem ministering to homosexuals, prostitutes and others who have been marginalized.

Brazil has thought of itself as multicultural, but in recent years has come around to the realization that the lighter-skinned half of the population of 182 million holds the bulk of the nation's wealth and power. Over the past decade a black civil rights movement has been demanding benefits. President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said terreiros play a part, serving as centers of black consciousness where people learn about health, education and their civil rights."

Professor C. Daniel Dawson wrote that Brasil "is a multiculltural society sheathed in a "European veneer" ... We are prevented form learning about and celebrating the African legacy because of this "European veneer," which was created and perpetuated by a blindly Eurocentric educational structure, and because white supremacy as a pervasive philisophical system. This veneer also negatievly affects the appreciation of Naitve American and non European immigrants as well."

Peace
Daystar
Daystar

06.07.2006 08:55   Quote
[quote=spidy]
Really though, other than the language, what exactly is the Portuguese contribution to Capoeira, samba and candomble or any other African or indigenous representation in Brasil? I would like to know. Little, if any i suspect,

[/quote]

Pandeiro, neh?
spidy
spidy

06.07.2006 13:28   Quote
Pandeiro, neh?
Neh, pandeiro. It is not a "Portuguese" instrument. It can be found in Africa also. It is nothing more than a small drum. The berimbau, atabaque, agogo, reco-reco are all instruments created and used by Africans prior to European invasion.

Anyway, back to the original point. Lampiao fought the oppresive Brasilian police and military. That puts him in the company of the legendary Zumbi and Besouro Preto.

Peace
cafezinho
cafezinho

06.07.2006 14:12   Quote
Pandeiro is a tricky. The pandeiro arrived in Brazil through Portugal by way of North Africa. In essence, it is african, but also it is a part of portuguese culture.

Daystar
Daystar

06.07.2006 16:28   Quote
Exactly. No Portuguese, no pandeiro in capoeira. That's why I thought of it as a 'Portuguese' contribution.

You were talking about a European invasion... the reason why the Portuguese knew of the pandeiro was because they themselves were invaded by North-African tribes.
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Jun 07 2006, 17:35 ]</span>
spidy
spidy

06.07.2006 16:41   Quote
Sho' nuff?
cafezinho
cafezinho

06.07.2006 19:16   Quote
sho' nuff.
peregrino
peregrino

09.25.2009 07:16   Quote
is there a set basis on how you choose your nickname?
Sem Jeito
Sem Jeito

09.25.2009 07:44   Quote
It's actually your teacher who gives you your nickname. It can be based on a lot of things ie; how you play, how you look, your habits, where you come from.....it can be based on anything about you and/or in relation to you.

I got my nickname because I used to fall down badly when doing bananeiras. Everytime I tell other capoeiristas my nickname, they're like "WTF? Ha Ha Ha!!!"
palmito
palmito

09.25.2009 08:32   Quote
[quote1253885486=peregrino]
is there a set basis on how you choose your nickname?
[/quote1253885486]

The internet will name you.

I dub thee..... ceroba 2! (I already have a guy I call ceroba up here)

--Palmito
palmito
palmito

09.25.2009 08:37   Quote
Ok, seriously dude. You're in Florida, go to a group if you want to learn. You're an hour from a great mestre, and probably less to another group.

I'd trade places with you in a second. Take advantage.
wkshadow
wkshadow

09.25.2009 18:28   Quote
Sem Jeito! haha! Yeah. I get it. funny. But now you're the opposite, no?
Sem Jeito
Sem Jeito

09.26.2009 05:35   Quote
[quote1253961240=wkshadow]
...But now you're the opposite, no?
[/quote1253961240]

I pray to God that I am...or will be someday. Other capoeiristas find it really amusing, as if my mestre has a sick sense of humour or something!
wazzup828
wazzup828

09.28.2009 20:39   Quote
i just got a nickname...isnt even in portugese =(

its Potter...as in harry potter =(
palmito
palmito

09.29.2009 09:29   Quote
[quote1254234570=wazzup828]
i just got a nickname...isnt even in portugese =(

its Potter...as in harry potter =(
[/quote1254234570]

umm, congrats? Your mestre named you that?
wkshadow
wkshadow

09.29.2009 19:28   Quote
Awww, potter? Why, you wear glasses? Have a wand? (wait, no, don't answer that second question.)

My son wears glasses and in his last two school pictures he had a 'serious face." So when this proud mama showed off her bebes, I heard more than three times, "oh, he looks like Harry Potter." I was chagrinned, but yeah, I could see it.
wazzup828
wazzup828

09.30.2009 04:16   Quote
my trainer gave it to me. He is blue belt. Says im really smiley and because i wear black glasses, he goes im potter.

Everyone got cool ones like caring, cool, tall etc. I think i can live with potter though =)

lo l@ the wand question!!
wkshadow
wkshadow

09.30.2009 06:33   Quote
[quote1254310382=wazzup828]
[/quote1254310382]
*blush* glad I could make your day. :)
palmito
palmito

09.30.2009 08:12   Quote
[quote1254316206=wazzup828]
my trainer gave it to me. He is blue belt. Says im really smiley and because i wear black glasses, he goes im potter.

Everyone got cool ones like caring, cool, tall etc. I think i can live with potter though =)

[/quote1254316206]

We give dick-ish nicknames to our students. They're fitting, but not very flattering (some at least). However, when mestre comes around, he sometimes makes his own. When this one girl first met mestre, she was like "You gotta give me an apellido or these a-holes are gonna call me ......" So he did! You might be able to pull a move like that next time your mestre is around ;)
M3inline6
M3inline6

09.30.2009 12:37   Quote
[quote1254332206=wkshadow]
Awww, potter? Why, you wear glasses? [b]Have a wand?[/b] (wait, no, don't answer that second question.)

[/quote1254332206]

Funniest shit I've heard all day (...[i]because I'm a gutter brain[/i]). LOL!
wazzup828
wazzup828

09.30.2009 19:18   Quote
ha ha
i guess i dont mind too much since its all in good fun =)

but if i ever become a mestre, I cant imagine the being called mestre potter!! (though it will never happen, its just a thought :D )
wkshadow
wkshadow

09.30.2009 19:39   Quote
From Mestre Potter: Capo Immobilus!
then: Rasteirus flippus.
wkshadow
wkshadow

09.30.2009 19:53   Quote
Oh, and Potter? This is YOUR song

Solta mandinga
© 2014 RioActive, LLC